Jan 14, 2010, 1:04 PM EDT
As the Tribune’s Paul Sullivan notes, “The Cubs may be the only team in history to bring their new hitting coach to
town for an introductory news conference while letting their most
prominent free agent signee do his talking over the phone.” But a news conference it was, and Rudy Jaramillo spoke about his guru status. Mostly by denying that he’s a guru, which is smart. But still, is there a hitting coach in baseball who will be under more scrutiny than Jaramillo will be this season?
In addition, the Cubs confirmed that they are looking at Jermaine Dye, but if they brought him in he’d be a utility player of sorts, platooning with Fukudome and backing up Alfonso Soriano and Derrek Lee.
I didn’t like the idea of Dye in San Diego where he’d presumably expect to play every day (and, if some of you readers are correct, the Padres would want him to play every day in order to showcase him for a midseason trade). An uber-corner backup job, however, may be more fitting. Especially with the Cubs, from Dye’s perspective, considering he lives in Chicago anyway.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)