UPDATE: It would "take a miracle" for the Braves to sign Johnny Damon

Jan 15, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT

UPDATE: OK, Boras may need to find another mystery team, because MLB.com’s Mark Bowman is throwing cold water on the idea that the Braves are really interested in the guy:

From what I can gather, the Braves would become players in the Damon
sweepstakes if his price drops to somewhere in the neighborhood of $1-2
million. In other words, it’s not going to happen.  Or as
one Major League source said, “it would take a miracle” for (the
Braves) to sign Damon.

Your move, Heyman.

8:00 A.M. Jon Heyman tweets that the Tigers “could be in play” for Johnny Damon.  This comes a few hours after we learned that the Braves are still interested.

If this rumor had come two days ago I would have said that it was typical Boras smokescreen. He needs a second team involved, real or imagined, so that he can get the Braves to bid higher, and like clockwork comes some thin non-report about a second team courtesy of his alleged mouthpiece Heyman.

But then the Tigers signed Jose Valverde to ridiculous money yesterday. In light of that I think it’s safe to say that we really don’t know what’s motivating the Tigers these days, so yeah, I’d probably believe anything at this point.

Would it be a good fit?  Probably would actually.  As Heyman noted, Damon has always hit well in Tiger Stadium Comerica Park (sorry; I’m still in mourning) and with the DH, there’s a better chance to keep him fresh and play a more defensively-minded lineup when need be.

Really, though, if Damon has truly lowered his asking price as some have suggested, he might be a good fit any number of places. No one doubts he can still hit. The only problem before recently was that he thought he was worth eight figures a year for two or three years.

1. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 10:49 AM

If Mike Ilitch wants to lay some more pizza money on the dough table, the Tigers are actually the best fit I’ve seen yet for Damon. They could really use him since the AL uses a Designated Hitter to bat for pitchers.

2. EVIL EmpirE 2010 - Jan 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Don’t drink the Soott Boras Kool Aid, Johnny will make sure
    The Cash-man has not signed a outfielder before he signs anywhere.
    He will rather play in New York.

3. ecp - Jan 15, 2010 at 11:51 AM

After the lunacy of the Valberde contract, it wouldn’t supriese me to see the Tigers give Johnny the three years $39 million that he originally wanted. Did they win the lottery up there or something?

4. Union - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I did not realize that the Tigers had moved back into Tiger Stadium.

5. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Sorry man. Still in mourning. I fixed it.

6. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Even as we speak, Scott Boras has Anthony Pellicano digging through Mark Bowman of MLB.com’s garbage pails.

7. YankeesfanLen - Jan 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Evil, you finally have me agreeing with you. From what I hear ferom TigersfanRob, the Roar still is trying to quell the crowd, and hoping the Valverde signing is what will do it.
    Sounds like a Boras double switch to me, so Welcome Back to the Universe, Johnny.
    BTW, kudos to Cash for being a good poker player.

8. YANKEES1996 - Jan 15, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I would like to see Johnny back in the Bronx but I don’t think it’s going to happen. I believe the SUPER AGENT let you down JD!

9. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Craig, can you sue an agent for malpractice, or only for being a complete idiot?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4935)