Jan 15, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, Boras may need to find another mystery team, because MLB.com’s Mark Bowman is throwing cold water on the idea that the Braves are really interested in the guy:
From what I can gather, the Braves would become players in the Damon
sweepstakes if his price drops to somewhere in the neighborhood of $1-2
million. In other words, it’s not going to happen. Or as
one Major League source said, “it would take a miracle” for (the
Braves) to sign Damon.
Your move, Heyman.
8:00 A.M. Jon Heyman tweets that the Tigers “could be in play” for Johnny Damon. This comes a few hours after we learned that the Braves are still interested.
If this rumor had come two days ago I would have said that it was typical Boras smokescreen. He needs a second team involved, real or imagined, so that he can get the Braves to bid higher, and like clockwork comes some thin non-report about a second team courtesy of his alleged mouthpiece Heyman.
But then the Tigers signed Jose Valverde to ridiculous money yesterday. In light of that I think it’s safe to say that we really don’t know what’s motivating the Tigers these days, so yeah, I’d probably believe anything at this point.
Would it be a good fit? Probably would actually. As Heyman noted, Damon has always hit well in
Tiger Stadium Comerica Park (sorry; I’m still in mourning) and with the DH, there’s a better chance to keep him fresh and play a more defensively-minded lineup when need be.
Really, though, if Damon has truly lowered his asking price as some have suggested, he might be a good fit any number of places. No one doubts he can still hit. The only problem before recently was that he thought he was worth eight figures a year for two or three years.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)