Jan 15, 2010, 8:47 PM EDT
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the Athletics have acquired third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff and prospect Eric Sogard from the Padres out outfielders Scott Hairston and Aaron Cunningham.
Kouzmanoff was long expected to be dealt, but this is a stunning destination for him given his horrible on-base percentages and seemingly overrated defense. Kouzmanoff made some headlines last year with his outstanding .990 fielding percentage — he committed just three errors in 139 games at third base — but his range is average at best. He’s also a career .261/.308/.435 hitter who hasn’t gotten any better with age. The 28-year-old has seen his OPS tumble from 786 in 2007 to 732 in 2008 and 722 last year. Petco Park certainly has something to do with the ugly line, but it’s not responsible for his 139/23 K/BB ratio in 2008 and 106/27 K/BB ratio in 2009.
The Padres seem to get the far better of this deal. Hairston and Cunningham can both function as solid regulars in the corner outfield spots, and now they get to move Chase Headley back to third base, where he’ll likely be more valuable. They’ll probably go with Hairston in one spot and let Cunningham battle Will Venable and maybe Kyle Blanks for the other.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)