Jan 15, 2010, 8:47 PM EDT
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the Athletics have acquired third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff and prospect Eric Sogard from the Padres out outfielders Scott Hairston and Aaron Cunningham.
Kouzmanoff was long expected to be dealt, but this is a stunning destination for him given his horrible on-base percentages and seemingly overrated defense. Kouzmanoff made some headlines last year with his outstanding .990 fielding percentage — he committed just three errors in 139 games at third base — but his range is average at best. He’s also a career .261/.308/.435 hitter who hasn’t gotten any better with age. The 28-year-old has seen his OPS tumble from 786 in 2007 to 732 in 2008 and 722 last year. Petco Park certainly has something to do with the ugly line, but it’s not responsible for his 139/23 K/BB ratio in 2008 and 106/27 K/BB ratio in 2009.
The Padres seem to get the far better of this deal. Hairston and Cunningham can both function as solid regulars in the corner outfield spots, and now they get to move Chase Headley back to third base, where he’ll likely be more valuable. They’ll probably go with Hairston in one spot and let Cunningham battle Will Venable and maybe Kyle Blanks for the other.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 3
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)