Jan 15, 2010, 8:47 PM EDT
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the Athletics have acquired third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff and prospect Eric Sogard from the Padres out outfielders Scott Hairston and Aaron Cunningham.
Kouzmanoff was long expected to be dealt, but this is a stunning destination for him given his horrible on-base percentages and seemingly overrated defense. Kouzmanoff made some headlines last year with his outstanding .990 fielding percentage — he committed just three errors in 139 games at third base — but his range is average at best. He’s also a career .261/.308/.435 hitter who hasn’t gotten any better with age. The 28-year-old has seen his OPS tumble from 786 in 2007 to 732 in 2008 and 722 last year. Petco Park certainly has something to do with the ugly line, but it’s not responsible for his 139/23 K/BB ratio in 2008 and 106/27 K/BB ratio in 2009.
The Padres seem to get the far better of this deal. Hairston and Cunningham can both function as solid regulars in the corner outfield spots, and now they get to move Chase Headley back to third base, where he’ll likely be more valuable. They’ll probably go with Hairston in one spot and let Cunningham battle Will Venable and maybe Kyle Blanks for the other.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)