Jan 15, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
I’d make a joke about the length of the meeting, but I’ve had barroom arguments about the DH alone that have lasted longer than that, so such lengthy discourse is to be expected.
Sadly, however, no one is talking about what the big Special Committee is up to. Joe Torre: “Please don’t ask me anything else because I don’t want to be eliminated on the first day.” Everyone else deferred to Selig, who said that “15-20 subjects were discussed” and that the committee had “a
lot of work to do.” Selig said, however, that the committee will
meet again in two-to-three weeks and
that at least one of the changes they were talking about would be implemented by the start of the
My guess is that there won’t be anything Earth-shattering such as banning or expanding the DH. Rather, it will either be about compacting the postseason schedule or some game-length tweaking such as not granting batters time outs to adjust their gloves after every single pitch or something.
Sadly, my long held dream that they’ll finally lift the ban on pepper games will likely have to wait for another year. But I accept that people just aren’t ready for it yet.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (105)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)