Jan 15, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
I’d make a joke about the length of the meeting, but I’ve had barroom arguments about the DH alone that have lasted longer than that, so such lengthy discourse is to be expected.
Sadly, however, no one is talking about what the big Special Committee is up to. Joe Torre: “Please don’t ask me anything else because I don’t want to be eliminated on the first day.” Everyone else deferred to Selig, who said that “15-20 subjects were discussed” and that the committee had “a
lot of work to do.” Selig said, however, that the committee will
meet again in two-to-three weeks and
that at least one of the changes they were talking about would be implemented by the start of the
My guess is that there won’t be anything Earth-shattering such as banning or expanding the DH. Rather, it will either be about compacting the postseason schedule or some game-length tweaking such as not granting batters time outs to adjust their gloves after every single pitch or something.
Sadly, my long held dream that they’ll finally lift the ban on pepper games will likely have to wait for another year. But I accept that people just aren’t ready for it yet.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 0
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 33
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 59
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 70
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)