Jan 15, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
I’d make a joke about the length of the meeting, but I’ve had barroom arguments about the DH alone that have lasted longer than that, so such lengthy discourse is to be expected.
Sadly, however, no one is talking about what the big Special Committee is up to. Joe Torre: “Please don’t ask me anything else because I don’t want to be eliminated on the first day.” Everyone else deferred to Selig, who said that “15-20 subjects were discussed” and that the committee had “a
lot of work to do.” Selig said, however, that the committee will
meet again in two-to-three weeks and
that at least one of the changes they were talking about would be implemented by the start of the
My guess is that there won’t be anything Earth-shattering such as banning or expanding the DH. Rather, it will either be about compacting the postseason schedule or some game-length tweaking such as not granting batters time outs to adjust their gloves after every single pitch or something.
Sadly, my long held dream that they’ll finally lift the ban on pepper games will likely have to wait for another year. But I accept that people just aren’t ready for it yet.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)