Bud's Special Committee met for four hours yesterday

Jan 15, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT

I’d make a joke about the length of the meeting, but I’ve had barroom arguments about the DH alone that have lasted longer than that, so such lengthy discourse is to be expected.

Sadly, however, no one is talking about what the big Special Committee is up to.  Joe Torre: “Please don’t ask me anything else because I don’t want to be eliminated on the first day.”  Everyone else deferred to Selig, who said that “15-20 subjects were discussed” and that the committee had “a
lot of work to do.” Selig said, however, that the committee will
meet again in two-to-three weeks and
that at least one of the changes they were talking about would be implemented by the start of the
regular season.

My guess is that there won’t be anything Earth-shattering such as banning or expanding the DH.  Rather, it will either be about compacting the postseason schedule or some game-length tweaking such as not granting batters time outs to adjust their gloves after every single pitch or something.

Sadly, my long held dream that they’ll finally lift the ban on pepper games will likely have to wait for another year. But I accept that people just aren’t ready for it yet.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Can you (or anyone) explain why pepper games were off limits in the first place?

2. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Liability should spectators become pepperized by an errant swing, damage to grass, general wienerdom. Pick 2.

3. Ace - Jan 15, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I’ve heard all these reasons as well, Moses, usually with potential injury to fans being at the top of the list. But how could a game of pepper possibly be any more dangerous to a fan than sitting along one of the base lines during an actual game?

4. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I would love to have been a mayfly on the wall during that meeting. I would have been dead well before they finished, which probably would have been preferable to having been that bored.

5. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Ace, I was leaning towards general wienerdom. Pepper is certainly less dangerous than sitting along the base lines during a game (unless said pepper is in Andre Agassi’s father pocket) but pepper games are much easier and more practical to ban than foul line drives.

6. jwb - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Tiger Stadium used to have very prominent “NO PEPPER” signs displayed along the walls near home plate. It thought it was grossly unfair that Tigers fans couldn’t have pepperoncinis on their sausages at the park.

7. Chuck - Jan 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM

“but pepper games are much easier and more practical to ban than foul line drives.”
    As well, I think your use of a game ticket (as per the smallprint on the back) has you waiving liability to injuries resulting from the game itself. “No pepper” stinks of lawyer involvement.

8. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 2:21 PM

This whole blog stinks of lawyer involvement. Sorry CC, former lawyer involvement.

9. Del Benoist - Jan 18, 2010 at 8:22 AM

I would indicate making mental object selling, let me explain. You can get a video professionally made for approximately $47.00 97.00 (30-60 seconds) screening your quality desk drawer slide. You can even demonstrate how easily it is to destruct your competitors and blast it around over 100 internet video sites for as little as $5.00 per site to be done manualy!You can get keyword search done for you professionally, describing the keyword phrases that will get you a decent amount of search volum, yes with milder competing pages. Thank you for this article! I’ve just found a surely perfect news site about panda marketing Adjudicate it!

10. jwb - Jan 18, 2010 at 1:19 PM