Can't afford tickets? Indians might give you some for free

Jan 15, 2010, 12:37 AM EDT

We all know things are rough out there. A lot of people are out of jobs, struggling to make ends meet.

The Cleveland Indians are trying to help, offering fans the ability to win 12-game ticket packages through an essay contest.

But for those feeling a bit strapped on the cash front in these tough economic times, the Indians are offering the opportunity to win free tickets as part of their 12-Pack Essay Contest. Twenty-five applicants will be awarded four Pepsi 12-Pack ticket packages based on their response to the following:

In 500 words or less, please explain your current economic circumstance and what winning an Indians 12-Pack would mean to you during the 2010 season. Please incorporate your passion as a Cleveland Indians fan and love for baseball in your response.

It’s a cool idea, and certainly a generous offer to give away four 12-game ticket packages to 25 winners. In addition, everyone who applies will receive a voucher for four free seats to a game in April or May (not counting Opening Day).

I would think this contest has plenty of potential to be awkward, however. I’m not sure how eager I would be to outline my financial woes – in as convincing terms as possible – in a 500-word essay contest. Not sure how eager I’d be to judge the essays either.

But as depressing as this contest might be, I have to give the Indians credit for the gesture. When times are tough, it might be nice to take in a ballgame on the house. Plus, if you’re really strapped, you could always scalp your tickets.

(Thanks to The Sporting Blog)

1. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Well, at least they didn’t join the Tennis Court Oath mentality sweeping baseball as modestly as permissable and announce they were sending free tickets to Haiti.

2. Ditto - Jan 15, 2010 at 6:32 AM

I like how you use a French Revolution event in reference to Haiti, since Haitians rebelled against the French all those years ago (which, according to Pat Robertson is the reason Haiti experienced this earthquake).

3. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Glad to see the goodest of good Christians is right in there pitching, living Jesus by example, helping to alleviate the pain and suffering of his fellow man. Talk about an asshole, if you gave Pat Robertson an enema, he could preach in Whoville. Then, the physical size of his constituency would be confluent with its mental proportions. And considering the vigorous survival of pagan gods, African and Caribbean, and rituals in Vodoun, I’m surprised – well, considering the indefatigable idiocy of fundamentalist evangelism, esbecially in its metastasis to broadcasting, maybe not all that surprised – that the nitwit missed a chance to take a healthy swipe at heathenism for its own sake. I will say one thing for that drooling moron, though: in his own case, he’s right about evolution. Spiritually speaking, there hasn’t been any.
    You might check out my comments on Toussaint, Desasalines, Henri Christophe and some other aspects of the Haitian revolution over on Craig Calcaterra’s Haitian Aid thread.

4. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Here’s a mystery for the ages. How is it that Pat Robertson still gets to go on television? Is it a corollary to the “only guys the press likes get a pass on PED’s” rule? Should we call it the “only guys the press likes get a pass on public racist xenophobic ranting?”

5. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Context, context, context Mo. Rush Limberger (sorry, I have a very sensitive nose – he stinks right through my car radio) gets a pass on public racist xenophobic ranting, but put him in a football press box and he runs afoul of those notorious Trotskyites who run professional sports in a heartbeat.

6. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 9:50 AM

There is a desperate seed of seriousness to my question. Limberger, the sanctimonious pill-deaf junkie that he is, has his own radio show and doesn’t much appear elsewhere. Robertson is a charming, intelligent, gregarious Fucking Lunatic, and he’s all over the TV. Anyone else asserting his brand of virulent insanity would be tarred and feathered in the town square, and instead he keeps getting HD makeup sprayed on and little microphones clipped to his gorgeous Italian suits. I just don’t get it at all.

7. Shoe Lifts - Jan 15, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Cool, there are actually some great facts on this post some of my readers just might find this useful, will send them a link, thank you.

8. Old Gator - Jan 16, 2010 at 10:16 AM

In a country that nearly elected George W. Bush once and then actually elected him the next time, Pat Robertson is the least of what I worry about. I stopped losing sleep over Sarah Palin only when I realized that all the publicity she was getting would still rank her a far distant runnerup to Jen, Angelina and Paris, with Michelle Obama moving up quickly and certain to overtake her within the next few months, after repeated exposures on FOX bleed her of her strangeness.
    In purely rhetorical terms, Pat Robertson is the Yogi Berra of theology, except that Yogi is not an asshole, his comments ultimately prove to be possessed of an exquisite logical symmetry whereas Robertson’s graph like a tumor, and I seriously doubt if Yogi is so juvenile in his religiosity that he would have known what a Teletubbie is.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3631)