Jan 15, 2010, 12:37 AM EDT
We all know things are rough out there. A lot of people are out of jobs, struggling to make ends meet.
The Cleveland Indians are trying to help, offering fans the ability to win 12-game ticket packages through an essay contest.
But for those feeling a bit strapped on the cash front in these tough economic times, the Indians are offering the opportunity to win free tickets as part of their 12-Pack Essay Contest. Twenty-five applicants will be awarded four Pepsi 12-Pack ticket packages based on their response to the following:
In 500 words or less, please explain your current economic circumstance and what winning an Indians 12-Pack would mean to you during the 2010 season. Please incorporate your passion as a Cleveland Indians fan and love for baseball in your response.
It’s a cool idea, and certainly a generous offer to give away four 12-game ticket packages to 25 winners. In addition, everyone who applies will receive a voucher for four free seats to a game in April or May (not counting Opening Day).
I would think this contest has plenty of potential to be awkward, however. I’m not sure how eager I would be to outline my financial woes – in as convincing terms as possible – in a 500-word essay contest. Not sure how eager I’d be to judge the essays either.
But as depressing as this contest might be, I have to give the Indians credit for the gesture. When times are tough, it might be nice to take in a ballgame on the house. Plus, if you’re really strapped, you could always scalp your tickets.
(Thanks to The Sporting Blog)
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 11
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)