Jan 15, 2010, 12:37 AM EDT
We all know things are rough out there. A lot of people are out of jobs, struggling to make ends meet.
The Cleveland Indians are trying to help, offering fans the ability to win 12-game ticket packages through an essay contest.
But for those feeling a bit strapped on the cash front in these tough economic times, the Indians are offering the opportunity to win free tickets as part of their 12-Pack Essay Contest. Twenty-five applicants will be awarded four Pepsi 12-Pack ticket packages based on their response to the following:
In 500 words or less, please explain your current economic circumstance and what winning an Indians 12-Pack would mean to you during the 2010 season. Please incorporate your passion as a Cleveland Indians fan and love for baseball in your response.
It’s a cool idea, and certainly a generous offer to give away four 12-game ticket packages to 25 winners. In addition, everyone who applies will receive a voucher for four free seats to a game in April or May (not counting Opening Day).
I would think this contest has plenty of potential to be awkward, however. I’m not sure how eager I would be to outline my financial woes – in as convincing terms as possible – in a 500-word essay contest. Not sure how eager I’d be to judge the essays either.
But as depressing as this contest might be, I have to give the Indians credit for the gesture. When times are tough, it might be nice to take in a ballgame on the house. Plus, if you’re really strapped, you could always scalp your tickets.
(Thanks to The Sporting Blog)
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 2
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)