Jan 15, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
UPDATE: Byrnes has been designated for assignment.
10:00 A.M.: The Diamondbacks need to make room on the roster for Adam LaRoche, and according to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, they’re most likely going to do it by releasing Eric Byrnes.
Byrnes’ deal has to be one of the more spectacular contract disasters in recent history. Signed towards the end of the 2007season, it was a three-year, $30 million deal with a no-trade clause.
And it’s not just a disaster because he’s been injured for the majority of its duration. It even made no sense at the time. Byrnes was in the midst of perhaps his “greatest” season when he signed it, but even then he was only hitting .286/.353./460. His OPS+ that year revealed him to be a slightly above average hitter overall, but of course he plays left field, and that’s a position that typically calls for more than a slightly above average bat.
Maybe it’s just a holdover from those dark days at the law firm when I used to fantasize about winning the lottery and stuff, but I’ve always had a place in my heart for guys like Byrnes and Darren Driefort and the like who were paid gigantic sums and produced almost nothing thereafter. It almost makes you think “hey, I could have done that.”
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)