Jan 15, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
UPDATE: Byrnes has been designated for assignment.
10:00 A.M.: The Diamondbacks need to make room on the roster for Adam LaRoche, and according to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, they’re most likely going to do it by releasing Eric Byrnes.
Byrnes’ deal has to be one of the more spectacular contract disasters in recent history. Signed towards the end of the 2007season, it was a three-year, $30 million deal with a no-trade clause.
And it’s not just a disaster because he’s been injured for the majority of its duration. It even made no sense at the time. Byrnes was in the midst of perhaps his “greatest” season when he signed it, but even then he was only hitting .286/.353./460. His OPS+ that year revealed him to be a slightly above average hitter overall, but of course he plays left field, and that’s a position that typically calls for more than a slightly above average bat.
Maybe it’s just a holdover from those dark days at the law firm when I used to fantasize about winning the lottery and stuff, but I’ve always had a place in my heart for guys like Byrnes and Darren Driefort and the like who were paid gigantic sums and produced almost nothing thereafter. It almost makes you think “hey, I could have done that.”
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 140
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (140)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)