Jan 15, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
UPDATE: Byrnes has been designated for assignment.
10:00 A.M.: The Diamondbacks need to make room on the roster for Adam LaRoche, and according to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, they’re most likely going to do it by releasing Eric Byrnes.
Byrnes’ deal has to be one of the more spectacular contract disasters in recent history. Signed towards the end of the 2007season, it was a three-year, $30 million deal with a no-trade clause.
And it’s not just a disaster because he’s been injured for the majority of its duration. It even made no sense at the time. Byrnes was in the midst of perhaps his “greatest” season when he signed it, but even then he was only hitting .286/.353./460. His OPS+ that year revealed him to be a slightly above average hitter overall, but of course he plays left field, and that’s a position that typically calls for more than a slightly above average bat.
Maybe it’s just a holdover from those dark days at the law firm when I used to fantasize about winning the lottery and stuff, but I’ve always had a place in my heart for guys like Byrnes and Darren Driefort and the like who were paid gigantic sums and produced almost nothing thereafter. It almost makes you think “hey, I could have done that.”
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 58
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (95)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)