Jan 15, 2010, 1:10 AM EST
Tom Glavine isn’t showing a lot of common sense regarding his pitching career, and he knows it.
“I haven’t officially [retired] yet,” Glavine said. “I don’t know why. I think if anybody has any common sense, they can figure out that I’m probably not going to pitch again.”
The 43-year-old, who will start the countdown to a possible first-ballot Hall of Fame induction once he does retire, seems just about to resigned to the end of his career. He’s just having a hard time putting it in writing.
According to MLB.com, Glavine is hoping to coincide his retirement with an announcement that he will return to the Braves in some capacity, possibly as a broadcaster or front office employee. But he’s also struggling to forgive the Braves after they released him last June just five days before his scheduled season debut.
“I’m not going to lie and say everything is cool and that I’m beyond it,” Glavine said. “Maybe that is part of the reason that I haven’t committed 100 percent to going back to join the Braves yet. I really have enjoyed spending time with my wife and our children, and I don’t know how much of that time I want to miss.”
There’s one way to not miss any of that time, Tom – retire. Then enjoy the season watching games, playing with the kids, and not putting any more stress on your arm. And if you can’t stay away from the game, I’m sure TBS or FOX could make some room for you come playoff time.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)