Jan 15, 2010, 1:10 AM EDT
Tom Glavine isn’t showing a lot of common sense regarding his pitching career, and he knows it.
“I haven’t officially [retired] yet,” Glavine said. “I don’t know why. I think if anybody has any common sense, they can figure out that I’m probably not going to pitch again.”
The 43-year-old, who will start the countdown to a possible first-ballot Hall of Fame induction once he does retire, seems just about to resigned to the end of his career. He’s just having a hard time putting it in writing.
According to MLB.com, Glavine is hoping to coincide his retirement with an announcement that he will return to the Braves in some capacity, possibly as a broadcaster or front office employee. But he’s also struggling to forgive the Braves after they released him last June just five days before his scheduled season debut.
“I’m not going to lie and say everything is cool and that I’m beyond it,” Glavine said. “Maybe that is part of the reason that I haven’t committed 100 percent to going back to join the Braves yet. I really have enjoyed spending time with my wife and our children, and I don’t know how much of that time I want to miss.”
There’s one way to not miss any of that time, Tom – retire. Then enjoy the season watching games, playing with the kids, and not putting any more stress on your arm. And if you can’t stay away from the game, I’m sure TBS or FOX could make some room for you come playoff time.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 0
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 70
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 54
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 98
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (98)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)