Glavine can't bring himself to announce retirement, yet

Jan 15, 2010, 1:10 AM EDT

Tom Glavine isn’t showing a lot of common sense regarding his pitching career, and he knows it.

“I haven’t officially [retired] yet,” Glavine said. “I don’t know why. I think if anybody has any common sense, they can figure out that I’m probably not going to pitch again.”

The 43-year-old, who will start the countdown to a possible first-ballot Hall of Fame induction once he does retire, seems just about to resigned to the end of his career. He’s just having a hard time putting it in writing.

According to MLB.com, Glavine is hoping to coincide his retirement with an announcement that he will return to the Braves in some capacity, possibly as a broadcaster or front office employee. But he’s also struggling to forgive the Braves after they released him last June just five days before his scheduled season debut.

“I’m not going to lie and say everything is cool and that I’m beyond it,” Glavine said. “Maybe that is part of the reason that I haven’t committed 100 percent to going back to join the Braves yet. I really have enjoyed spending time with my wife and our children, and I don’t know how much of that time I want to miss.”

There’s one way to not miss any of that time, Tom – retire. Then enjoy the season watching games, playing with the kids, and not putting any more stress on your arm. And if you can’t stay away from the game, I’m sure TBS or FOX could make some room for you come playoff time.

1. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Prolly make it in on the first ballot if the writers suffer a single pandemic mental bloc when they vote and the last game of the 2007 season just goes piouyit! in their minds. Yes, the Feesh did indeed win two World Championships, but that Lincoln’s Ferry massacre they inflicted on the Mutts to complete their Hindenburg landing of a season, in my mind, ranks as the pinnacle of Feesh glory, like for that one glorious game they were blowfish instead of billfish and treated us all to a taste of the gutspot.

2. Skids - Jan 15, 2010 at 7:37 AM

I’ve always respected him, but he of all people should realize it’s a business. When he dumped the Braves for more money in New York we had to get over it, he should get over it now. Unfortunately, alot of pro athletes think loyalty is a one way street.

3. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Atheletes think that? Maybe you want to have a quick chat with Hideki Matsui about the Borg’s “loyalty”? Teams are constantly throwing absurd money at free agents but when players who’ve given them the best years of their careers start getting older or are recovering from injuries, these same teams – and we’re talking about all of them here – try to hammer their veterans during their next possible round of contract talks, non-tender them, go “in another direction.” You’re right – loyalty should be a two-way street in professional sports, because disloyalty certainly is.

4. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Loyalty is a disease of dogs.

5. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2010 at 8:53 AM

My tarantula follows me around the house too.I almost included him in a Steve Phillips joke in the thread above, then remembered that this was a family site.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5079)