Joe Torre on being done in 2011: "I've lied before so it doesn't matter"

Jan 15, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT

That’s what he said immediately after saying yesterday that 2011 would be his last year. I like it when baseball people allow themselves to be honest like that.  The L.A. Times’ Bill Shaikin spoke with Torre on a bunch of other topics as well:

• He expects that Manny Ramirez will be back as “a middle-of-the-lineup guy” this year and thinks that his post-suspension struggles were all about mechanics and rust as opposed to human chorionic gonadotropin withdrawal or something.
  • He reminds us that Clayton Kershaw is only 21 and that “We can’t all of a sudden hook our wagon to him and say, ‘Take us there.'”  He expects the Dodgers to get another pitcher.  For what it’s worth, L.A. has been linked with Joel Piniero, may be watching Ben Sheets on Tuesday and, of course, is probably going to bring back Vicente Padilla.
  • He doesn’t know why the Dodgers didn’t offer Randy Wolf arbitration and says “it just didn’t seem reasonable to me he would come back for a year.”  This kind of thing is always interesting. I mean, if you asked Torre “hey, do you think Ned Colletti screwed up in not offering Wolf arbitration,” he’d always say no, he trusts Ned and The Plan and blah, blah, blah. But his dead-on assessment that Wolf wouldn’t take a one year deal to stay in L.A. makes the decision dumb by definition. No, I don’t expect Torre to slam his boss, but still.

If he had any comments about the McCourt divorce they were presumably off the record.

1. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Joe Torre follows only Ozzie Guillen on the “Managers I’d like to have a Beer With.” Since that’s also my litmus test for voting in elections, it’s a big deal to me.
    And no LaRussa joke responses you frickin mutants.

2. Ryan - Jan 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Good. The sooner I don’t have to watch him make that creaky march to the mound anymore, the happier I will be.

3. Jeremy - Jan 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I hope you drink with rather different people than me. In my experience, most people I enjoy having a beer with should definitely *not* be elected to public office. Indeed, it’s often precisely the traits that make them entertaining drinking buddies that make them ill-suited to be presidents or senators or etc.

4. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 11:27 AM

You’ve really opened my eyes here, I may have to rethink my voting strategy.

5. GimmeSomeSteel - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Sometimes I use the criteria, “Given the choice of these politicians, who would be the better companion for beers, pool, darts, etc.?” It doesn’t mean I want to drink with him/her/it/them, only who I’d RATHER if given the choice.
    BTW, If the answer is, “Neither would ever deign to go into a bar and drink a beer,” f*** ‘em both.

6. Carroll Merriman - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

What the… you will not belief this. This mindless dog simply just farted on my leg!? I mean what is the matter with that!? I feed that thing and I end up with that in return. I yet will not belief this. Anyway, you have several important information there in your article. I knew Yahoo could bring me to some fascinating stuff today :). Ok have to search this creature now! Have a good evening you all!

All the trade deadline news to know