King Felix, Mariners making progress

Jan 15, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT

Heyman tweets that Felix Hernandez and the Mariners are making progress on a five or six year deal but will “do the 1-year thing first to buy time.” Makes sense. No sense in rushing this thing.

Hernandez made $3.8 million in 2009.  No telling what a one year deal would mean for him money wise, but all accounts of negotiations so far portray it as a constructive thing, with the Mariners and Hernandez’s Alan Nero working together well.  The Mariners want Hernandez, and they’ve made a lot of serious investments in the team’s future this year which should give Hernandez confidence in them.

1. ecp - Jan 15, 2010 at 4:11 PM

“Note to the San Francisco Giants: watch what the Mariners do with King Felix and do more or less what they do when you get down to business with Tim Lincecum.”
    Perhaps I misunderstand your meaning, Craig. Do you honestly think that Felix Hernandez should get an equivalent contract to Tim Lincecum? And that Lincecum’s agent, if Hernandez signs first, isn’t going to (rightly) think that Timmah should get more folding green than Felix? I think that’s wrong on both counts.

2. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 15, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I don’t mean dollar-per-dollar. I mean the constructive negotiation and engagement, the willingness to avoid arbitration and do a bridge deal while still maintaining long term talks, etc. The gettin’-it-done with your ace stuff.

3. Jeremy - Jan 15, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I dont think that Tim Lincecum is THAT better than King Felix. AL is a much tougher league and has better hitters. So dollar for dollar should not be that different………..in my opinion.

4. carlos - Jan 15, 2010 at 5:47 PM

@ Jeremy: I agree, Felix is getting better every year. And while I hate the “AL is better than NL” argument I think it does hold water when comparing pitchers. These are both franchise players, and that will always open the wallet a bit wider.

5. Serita Blew - Jan 17, 2010 at 4:10 AM

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the latest stuff you post.

6. No-Heart Anthony Little - Jan 17, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Awesome post, Serita. So NBC is selling espresso machines now?

7. Steven Gomez - Jan 18, 2010 at 8:46 PM

I live in Seattle and am of course a big M’s fan. Mariners fans are paranoid like crazy about the fact that Felix hasn’t been locked up yet, as if he’s going to be a free agent after this year or something, but the M’s actually have a couple seasons of club control to lock him up if they do wish. There’s no rush to get a deal done, especially when arbitration ensures he’ll get a hefty raise this next couple seasons no matter what.
    Fans are worried this is putting Felix off, but honestly I don’t think he’s too concerned and is sure a deal will get done soon. He does want to play his whole career here if and the team can help it.
    But good to see progress being made to lock him up soon. It’s going to cost a ton, but it should: Felix is a franchise ace and still has room to grow even beyond what he’s become.
    As for Lincecum and whether he deserves the same amount of money or more… certainly. And like with Felix, there is no rush to do a long term deal.

8. Lyndsay Bakios - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:12 PM

This website is great!

9. Bridge - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Anything not nailed down is a cat toy

10. Judi Schemes - Mar 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I’ve got the ship, you’ve got the harbour … what say we tie up for the night?

11. Alexandra Equity - Mar 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Whits pink, wrinkled and hangs oot yer trousers??? Yer Gran!

12. Barry Ira Bridge - Mar 5, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Nice post good luckyour blog. I’m as confused as a termite in a yo-yo

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3702)