Jan 15, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
Heyman tweets that Felix Hernandez and the Mariners are making progress on a five or six year deal but will “do the 1-year thing first to buy time.” Makes sense. No sense in rushing this thing.
Hernandez made $3.8 million in 2009. No telling what a one year deal would mean for him money wise, but all accounts of negotiations so far portray it as a constructive thing, with the Mariners and Hernandez’s Alan Nero working together well. The Mariners want Hernandez, and they’ve made a lot of serious investments in the team’s future this year which should give Hernandez confidence in them.
Note to the San Francisco Giants: watch what the Mariners do with King Felix and do more or less what they do when you get down to business with Tim Lincecum.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)