PEDs are nothing new. In fact, they're really, really old.

Jan 15, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT

body builder.jpgIf you believe some of the looser talk this week, you’d think that Mark McGwire was Igor to Jose Canseco’s Dr. Steroidstein and that no one juiced before the A’s got good in the late 80s.  Nothing could be further from the truth, of course, as this handy-dandy PED timeline that ran in Sports Illustrated a couple of years ago makes clear.  The highlights:

• In 1889, a 72 year-old French doctor injected himself with testicular fluid from dogs and guinea pigs and reports on his findings. Says it made him “feel years younger with renewed energy.”  Parisian medical writer Daniel Le Shaughnessy compares him to Napoleon III and calls his actions akin to the worst atrocities of the Franco-Prussian war.
  • A German scientist develops anabolic steroids in 1935. The guy later went on to win the Nobel Prize for his work in sex hormones (he got it in 1939; I don’t have time to go back and look, but I’m sure it was the biggest thing to happen in Germany that year). According to his Wikipedia page he joined the Nazi party in 1936, and according to the time line the Nazis and even Hitler himself did extensive experiments with the stuff.  OK, I maybe need to apologize to Dan Shaugnessy on that Neville Chamberlain thing the other day;
  • Sports Illustrated published a story in 1960 exposing the use of amphetamines, tranquilizers, cocaine and other drugs in elite sports. The writers of the article were apparently unaware that they are living in pure, golden age;
  • Another SI story in 1969 about the imminent epidemic of performance enhancing drugs in sports. Mark McGwire is 6 years old at the time; Jose Canseco was 5.  My God, they were precociously evil to have screwed with sports like that.

The other day I wondered might happen if one of Jose Canseco’s Hall of Fame teammates was discovered to have taken steroids.  Now I’m wondering what might happen if one of Duke Snider or Early Wynn’s teammates did.

(thanks to reader Rays’ Fan for the link in the comments)

1. adware removers - Jan 20, 2010 at 10:55 AM

My aunt suggested this blog and she is completely right. keep up all the terrific work!

2. Xavier Isleib - Jan 21, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Da muss ich gleich mal gucken, ob ich das Template wo zum Download finde.

3. Micheal Kusner - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

4. Gregory Despain - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Oh jesus you will not belief that. My silly kitty simply farted on my arm!? I mean what’s the matter with this!? I give food to this thing and I receive that in return. I even now can not belief this. Anyways, you have got a few useful info there in your post. I knew Google are going to bring me to a few useful stuff today :). Ok need to hunt this creature now! Have a great time you all!

5. Simple white satin cheongsam dress - Feb 6, 2010 at 9:56 AM

hey, your post

6. Ann M. Marchand - Feb 16, 2010 at 4:23 PM

A Treehugger report claims that solar panels may not be as environmentally-friendly as was initially thought given the potential for waste generated from the life-cycle of a solar panel. The article discusses the early development of a recycling plan as a plausible solution.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3127)