Jan 15, 2010, 2:37 PM EDT
UPDATE: Dylan Hernandez reports that Kemp’s deal is worth $10.95 million. $4 million this year, $6.95 million in 2011.
12:14 P.M. MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick tweets that L.A. and Kemp have reached a preliminary agreement on a two-year contract, pending a physical.
No word on the dough. As mentioned the other day, this buys out two of his first three arbitration years. His agent, Dave Stewart (yes, that Dave Stewart), has suggested that there’s not much that’s going to stop Kemp from hitting the free agent market when the time comes.
Can’t say as I blame him. If Kemp stays on his current trajectory, he’s gonna make some ridiculous money.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 10
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 39
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)