Jan 15, 2010, 8:57 AM EDT
Now that Carlos Beltran is going to be missing some time the Mets need some help, and according to Ken Rosenthal they’ve made contact with free agent utilityman Jerry Hairston Jr.
Hairston hit .251/.315/.394 with 10 home runs and 39 RBI in 383 at-bats between the Reds and Yankees last season. Over that time he played every position except first base and catcher, so if the Mets do sign him they’ll have a lot of options as to how to use him.
Hairston was also one of the players named in the Mitchell Report, but we only care about that kind of thing if you’re a big superstar so no one ever mentions it.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)