Jan 15, 2010, 3:12 PM EDT
As I’ve said over and over again, when you get a Jon Heyman-reported, almost-nothin’-to-it rumor connecting a Scott Boras client to a second team there’s a more than decent chance it’s noise designed to trick the first team into thinking it’s a bidding war. Damon’s talking to the Braves, and then suddenly the Tigers are mentioned? Sure, why not? Except:
Tigers president/GM Dave Dombrowski, thru spokesperson: We have not expressed interest in Johnny Damon.
I have to imagine that just about every team has figured this out by now. Well, maybe not St. Louis. But most others have, haven’t they?
Of course, the Braves themselves are lukewarm, so maybe this is all just folly in order to make a market for Damon. Or make the Yankees jealous or something.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)