Jan 15, 2010, 3:12 PM EDT
As I’ve said over and over again, when you get a Jon Heyman-reported, almost-nothin’-to-it rumor connecting a Scott Boras client to a second team there’s a more than decent chance it’s noise designed to trick the first team into thinking it’s a bidding war. Damon’s talking to the Braves, and then suddenly the Tigers are mentioned? Sure, why not? Except:
Tigers president/GM Dave Dombrowski, thru spokesperson: We have not expressed interest in Johnny Damon.
I have to imagine that just about every team has figured this out by now. Well, maybe not St. Louis. But most others have, haven’t they?
Of course, the Braves themselves are lukewarm, so maybe this is all just folly in order to make a market for Damon. Or make the Yankees jealous or something.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (232)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)