Adam LaRoche calls the Diamondbacks his "first choice"

Jan 16, 2010, 9:06 AM EDT

adam laroche.jpgDuring an introductory conference call on Friday, new first baseman Adam LaRoche called the Diamondbacks his “first choice.”

‘This all came together obviously really fast,” LaRoche said. “There
were some other options out there and to be honest with you, this was
at the top of the list if we could work it out. From a contract
standpoint, this was my first choice.”

Or, um, the only reasonable offer left on the table? LaRoche pretty
much says as much, stating that that “offers started dwindling fast”
and that he heard of Arizona’s interest early in the offseason, but
didn’t hear much about them again until the past week.

LaRoche signed a one-year, $4.5 million contract with a $7.5 million
mutual option for 2011. The option includes a $1.5 million buyout, so
he is guaranteed $6 million. LaRoche earned $7.05 million last season.

It’s a pretty small sample size, but the 30-year-old hasn’t had much
luck at Chase Field during his career, batting .238 with two home runs
and eight RBI in 42 at-bats. Still, he should provide a tremendous
offensive boost to a team that combined to hit just .229/.321/.398 with
19 home runs, 88 RBI and a league-worst .718 OPS out of the first base
position last season.

1. Old Gator - Jan 16, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Actually, nothing about the Phoenix area interests me at all (too much golf in the region), least of all the Diamondbacks, except, maybe, a small Ethiopian restaurant on the south side of West University Drive about a mile west of the University whose name I forget but whose cuisine I vividly recall.
    So what am I doing here? Well, I just thought I’d mention that while contemplating the idea of naming a team for a species of rattlesnake, it occurred to me that Nancy Grace has a face like a pit viper.
    That, and I do wish they’d move Sky Harbor to the plain between Sedona and Jerome. It’d save me a long drive, the necessity of driving through Sedona where I’d have to contemplate the way relict hippies have been dispossessed by New Agey yuppies while I am en route to Jerome, and because it’d be cooler to sit out on the patio in the clear air at one of those little cafes up there looking down at airplanes coming and going from the airport than looking up at them disappearing into the smog at 2000 feet from a traffic jam on I-10.
    That’s all.

2. d - Jan 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Why can’t someone come out and say what Julian Tavarez (sp?) stated after signing with the Nationals last year (something about a 4am drunk, last woman there or something). At least he was honest about it.

3. Olen Kingsford - Jan 16, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Your post piqued my interest. Please give us a more indepth post if you get a chance.

4. Moses Green - Jan 16, 2010 at 8:07 PM

DJ – did you miss this one? Are you paying any attention at all?

5. Daine Smuck - Jan 23, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Simply want to say your article is brilliant. The clearness in your post is simply impressive and i can assume you are an expert on this field. Well with your permission allow me to grab your rss feed to keep up to date with incoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the a uthentic work.

6. NBA headlines - Feb 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto