Deadline passes, but Rangers close to being sold

Jan 16, 2010, 9:27 AM EDT

Their exclusive 30-day negotiation window has closed without a deal,
but an investment group led by Pittsburgh sports attorney Chuck
Greenberg and Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan said “extraordinary
progress” had been made in talks to buy the Rangers from Hicks Sports Group.

“We are on the verge of an agreement
that would provide Tom Hicks the value he seeks and the Texas Rangers
the resources to become champions,” the statement from Greenberg and
Ryan said.

It’s unclear whether the negotiation window will be extended, or
whether Hicks will consider bids from other finalists. If the sale with
Greenberg is completed, Hicks would still provide the second-largest
investment in the team, however he would make no baseball decisions.
Ryan would resume his role as team president, a role he has had for the
past two seasons.

1. The Grand Inquisitor, AKA Old Gator - Jan 16, 2010 at 10:23 AM

But first, Ryan has to admit to having used steroids (or, at the very least, lycopene) and endure a brief period of yowling and revilement in the sports press.
    No, I’m not saying he used them. It’s just that all former sports stars need to claim that they did, since insisting that they didn’t will only convince the sports press that they did.
    Are you all following me?

2. YankeesfanLen - Jan 16, 2010 at 12:31 PM

***(sigh)**** I need to find a blog in the steroid-free zone, however you’re right, Old Gator.

3. KG - Jan 16, 2010 at 12:45 PM

4. Moses Green - Jan 16, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I’d love to meet his tailor.
    Furthermore, they should just be honest and say that they took them for health reasons, and that they didn’t affect their performance whatsoever. Just their health. You know, because a healthy red-blooded man wants nothing more than to have his balls shrivel up and his pecker to hang limp.

5. Old Gator - Jan 16, 2010 at 3:40 PM

If you were to ask Steve Garvey if he wishes that had happened to him, you might be surprised at his answer.

6. Moses Green - Jan 16, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I would only be surprised if he said “I never did steroids” and meant it.

7. SEO - Jan 19, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Good Article. I’ll be back for your next article

8. handmade soy candles - Jan 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Your article really hit right on the head. great work, I look forward to your next entry.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet