Omar Minaya admits there's a problem with "the process"

Jan 16, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT

Mets general manager Omar Minaya quickly tried to smooth things over
with Carlos Beltran after the team publicly expressed their displeasure
in his decision to undergo surgery on his right knee this week, telling
David Waldstein of the New York Times that the whole controversy may have stemmed from a miscommunication of protocol:

“It was a very good conversation. Everything is fine. Listen, we have no problems with Carlos Beltran. I
have no problem with him and ownership has no problem. We love him. The
only issue was with the process, not the player.”

It’s a very telling quote. While he is speaking in reference to a very
specific instance, it only confirms the perception of dysfunction in
the organization’s leadership structure. For example, assistant general manager
John Ricco conducted the conference call on Thursday instead of Minaya, increasing speculation that the current general manager has been marginalized.
More broadly, the decision to make the dispute public has done more
harm than good in the eyes of the fanbase and public at large. Both
prompt the question: Exactly who is steering this troubled and overpriced ship?

On a related note, Sam Page of Amazin’ Avenue has put together an amusing, yet sadly-accurate flow chart of the team‘s decision-making practices.

1. Moses Green - Jan 16, 2010 at 2:49 PM

The only reason John Ricco conducted the press conference was to leave Omar free to continue working on NBC’s night-time lineup.

2. John Pileggi - Jan 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Minaya is a good baseball guy. Team ownership is a problem. It seems like that the passing of the COO job to Jeff Wilpon, the owner’s son, has coincided with a period of decline of the Mets’ way of doing almost everything. The team has added a new stadium and a network in recent years. The Yankees managed to do all this because they added business people, political people and baseball people to work on the different pieces. The Mets have not.

3. Joey B - Jan 16, 2010 at 5:20 PM

“Minaya is a good baseball guy. Team ownership is a problem. It seems like that the passing of the COO job to Jeff Wilpon, the owner’s son, has coincided with a period of decline of the Mets’ way of doing almost everything.”
    The Mets decline also coincided with another hiring. Not that I think you’re wrong on the owner’s son, but there is a fair amount of blame to go around.

4. acoustic567 - Jan 16, 2010 at 8:15 PM

There are some serious organizational problems here, but I don’t read Minaya’s quote — “the only issue was with the process” — as an admission to that. I think that language was code for, “The problem is that Scott Boras either negligently or intentionally failed to convey to Beltran our request.” Scott Boras’s “process” was the process he was referring to.
    Personally, I think Minaya has a real problem communicating his thoughts effectively, but I doubt that Boras at least had any uncertainty about what the Mets wanted, his comments about workers’ comp forms and Dr. Altchek notwithstanding.
    The real problem I have with the Mets here was that they should have found a way of resolving the issues without making them all so public. My guess is that they were intensely irritated by Boras’s act and that they couldn’t resist the urge (though they should have) to let that pass unanswered while everyone jumped to the conclusion that they were the ones at fault.

5. NastyNate - Jan 17, 2010 at 12:24 AM

The real problem with Los Mets is that they believe that their fans are morons. They are constantly trying to say “the right thing”. It’s the same problem A-Roid has when dealing with the media.
    Beltran goes to the best knee doctor in the world and he says surgery is necessary. What info is there to “digest” as Ricco put it? Los Mets just want Beltran to start the season, so they don’t look like fools again for not allowing Beltran to have surgery when he first got hurt AND at the end of season like he wanted.
    Now there is plenty of blame to go around, but somthing has got to change. Unfortunately, the Wilpons will remain owners. So that leaves Omar and everyone below him. Los Mets need a complete purge of its upper management, public relations, and medical staff.
    Otherwise, this circus will continue.

6. Old Gator - Jan 17, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Watching how Omar has handled this team, you almost think Al Qeda has it in for the Mutts. If there’s a problem with a “process” here, it’s with the efficient exchange of sodium and potassium ions across the myelin sheaths of the neurons in his cerebral cortex.

7. Abby Megraw - Jan 27, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I would indicate setting depicted object selling, let me explain. You can get a video professionally made for around $47.00 97.00 (30-60 seconds) pointing your fantabulous desk drawer slide. You can even demonstrate how sweet it is to destroy your rivals and blast it around over 100 internet video sites for as little as $5.00 per site to be done manualy!You can get keyword inquiry done for you professionally, keying the keyword words that will get you a modest amount of search volum, yes with smaller competing pages. Thank you for this article! I’ve just received a certainly wonderful site about best marketing Try it!

8. Andrew Pelt - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

What the… you will not belief that. My silly cat simply farted on my ankle!? I mean what is the problem with this!? I give food to this thing and I get this in exchange. I still will not really belief this. After all, you have got a few helpful information there in your post. I knew Yahoo are going to take me to some interesting stuff today :). Ok need to search for that creature now! Have a great time you all!

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3699)