Jan 16, 2010, 5:10 PM EDT
There’s plenty of activity this weekend, as players and teams settle on
new contracts to avoid arbitration. Here’s a couple deals that were
announced on Saturday:
– The Reds signed reliever Nick Masset to a two-year, $2.58 million contract.
Masset entered 2009 as a potential rotation candidate, but ended
up being one of the most trusted arms in Dusty Baker’s bullpen,
amassing a 2.37 ERA and 1.03 WHIP in 76 innings. The 27-year-old
right-hander averaged 8.3 K/9 last season, his highest rate on the
major league level, while inducing groundballs at a rate of 54.1 percent. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com,
he will make $1.035 million in 2010 and $1.545 million in
2011, taking care of his first two years of arbitration. He has a
chance to earn even more with incentives.
– The Giants and right-hander Brandon Medders avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $820,000 contract.
Medders managed a 3.01 ERA in 61 appearances with the Giants last
season after earning a spot as a non-roster invitee during Spring
Training. Though he has an impressive 3.36 ERA over 196 big league
appearances, he’s always struggled with his command, averaging 4.0 BB/9 during his career. He succeeded with an 80.4 percent strand rate and 4.3 BB/9 last season, suggesting that a regression is likely in store for 2010.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)