Jan 16, 2010, 5:10 PM EDT
There’s plenty of activity this weekend, as players and teams settle on
new contracts to avoid arbitration. Here’s a couple deals that were
announced on Saturday:
– The Reds signed reliever Nick Masset to a two-year, $2.58 million contract.
Masset entered 2009 as a potential rotation candidate, but ended
up being one of the most trusted arms in Dusty Baker’s bullpen,
amassing a 2.37 ERA and 1.03 WHIP in 76 innings. The 27-year-old
right-hander averaged 8.3 K/9 last season, his highest rate on the
major league level, while inducing groundballs at a rate of 54.1 percent. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com,
he will make $1.035 million in 2010 and $1.545 million in
2011, taking care of his first two years of arbitration. He has a
chance to earn even more with incentives.
– The Giants and right-hander Brandon Medders avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $820,000 contract.
Medders managed a 3.01 ERA in 61 appearances with the Giants last
season after earning a spot as a non-roster invitee during Spring
Training. Though he has an impressive 3.36 ERA over 196 big league
appearances, he’s always struggled with his command, averaging 4.0 BB/9 during his career. He succeeded with an 80.4 percent strand rate and 4.3 BB/9 last season, suggesting that a regression is likely in store for 2010.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)