Tony La Russa responds to Jack Clark

Jan 16, 2010, 12:51 PM EDT

There’s a war of words in St. Louis. You may have already heard that
Jack Clark, who spent three years with the Cardinals, thinks Mark
McGwire should be banned from baseball. He also questioned Tony La Russa’s claim that he didn’t know McGwire was on steroids during his tenure in Oakland and St. Louis:

“[McGwire's] own manager never knew that [Jose] Canseco and McGwire and
anybody else ever had taken steroids? Trust me, from [a former player], I have a lot of insight into who did
what and when but I’m not even going to talk about it. It really
doesn’t matter.”

La Russa responded to Clark in an interview with the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Friday night:

“I would say I always respected the career Jack had and he’s entitled to his opinion. But his comments about me are wrong.”

What better time for the whole gang to meet up at this weekend’s
“Winter Warm-Up” event in St. Louis? The team has confirmed that
McGwire will make his first public appearance as the team’s new hitting coach on Sunday,
where he is expected to sit down with one of the team’s broadcasters for
an interview in front of the fans. Just don’t expect Clark to be very
cordial should they cross paths this weekend.

“I’m not going to say hello. I’m not going to shake his hand. He’s a sad excuse for a
player in the industry of baseball. Just seeing him in uniform makes me
throw up.”

1. Joe - Jan 17, 2010 at 9:06 AM

At least 75 percent of players during that time period did roids. Most of the teams management knew of the use and did nothing about it. But now that its out the players that were caught are put out to slaughter by the teams that looked the other way. Before roids it was pills and other drugs and way back was coke and not the drinking kind. The teams did not care as long as it did not come out and hurt the bottom line { money }. Todays players are still looking for something to use that cant be detected by todays testing standards. Players are alway looking for that enhancemant to the job skills and that will never change. Now the fact is if you go after one player and black list him from playing. This was to keep the homerun record as low as possible so another player has a chance to pass it. { Barry / A-Rod } Now its found out that the second also did the roids it went all for naught. MLB should have the same standards for all players, you do roids and your out for good or leave all the players alone and let outside leagel forces do the job. This really goes for all sports leagues. Any player tied to any enhancement that has a record / milestone in play should have an asterick and a short note behind the name stating what and why of what was done during his playing days. Aside of all of that Put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame of Baseball, He bet on games but never bet against his own teams, it has never been shown. Some team owners are into something that has betting connected to it. How did Ty Cobb get into the Hall of Fame with his background??

2. JC - Jan 17, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Jack Clark may not have been a steroid user in his day, but he was a colossal jerk. He was a major disruption to every team he played for after he left St. Louis. They couldn’t get him out of San Diego (where he literally hung Tony Gwynn in effigy in the clubhouse) or Boston quick enough. Clark is the type of person who would have been the first to dip into the Winstrol if he’d thought about it back in the 1980s, but he never did, so now he’s taking on this holier-than-thou stance about McGwire.

3. cmoore019 - Jan 17, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I like La Russa but I believe there is no way in hell he didn’t know what some of his players especially his big named players were up to. He had to have some idea. For example on the orioles side the front office down knew David Segui was using them and did nothing to stop him. I’m betting the As front office down knew what Canseco and McGwire were doing..or at least enough to know they shouldn’t look any closer. You don’t invest that much money and time into two players and then not keep some sort of eye on what they were doing.

4. Len - Jan 17, 2010 at 11:38 AM

But they still have to see the ball, time the pitch, swing the bat, in a certain situation. They have to make sure they are rested and not partied out or have a overhang. It is the difficult things to do.

5. Len - Jan 17, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Look, these guys are entertainers or performers, they play a game and we watch them. That home run race with Sosa and McGwire was awesome and it was fun to watch. There are so some many other factors that effect a player in a game. My Lord someones wife or kids can alter the way a player plays. Let them play, have fun, be happy.

6. john - Jan 17, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Jack Clark is right. People like McGuire, Arod and Bonds who did steroids are all big fakes who should be banned from baseball. And civilians doing steroids are pitiful fakes also. They are cheats and scoundrels and the same kind of people that would rip you off if given a chance.

7. Dale - Jan 17, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Larussa SUCKS Pujols is the very best, Just face it, So many of you all are just jelous because the Cardinals have the best player ever to play the game.
    And even though Clark is a joke, He is telling the truth.
    All your freaking sports have this same problem, and sence Consicko opened the can of worms, Its a very big subject to deal with. There are so many players in all your leagues that did and are doing it. FOOTBALL is the very worst, Look at the size of those overgrown gorillas, But if this is pushed to hard, Too many of your so called superstars will be out, and the fans pay to see those players. Why do you think we the public havent and never will hear the SO CALLED list of over 200 in baseball that have done or are on substance abuse. Its all a JOKE>
    If its an illegal substance, and hurts the body or mind, and they are trying to set examples for children, OUTLAW THE SHIT. If it is sold over the counter and is legal, How can they bitch about the players useing it? Their Fault.
    I love sports as much as anyone else, BUT They are all becomeing a joke, Its not played for the fun of it anymore. Its all about the money. And Im sure their are more like me, Even though I love Baseball as much as I do, There have been many times Ive had chances to go see a game lately, But the excitement of seeing it just wasnt there like it use to be, and its all about this bullshit that people like that are on here writeing, cutting downt everyone and the sport.
    Thanks
    Good Luck to all of you.
    Dale

8. airedale - Jan 17, 2010 at 2:04 PM

La Russa and McGwire are both a couple of lousers…
    the “slugger” with his fake crying, anbd Tony trying to behave like he’s sober when the meter says 2.1!
    Couple of fine examples for the youths of America.
    Between the lying and all the bullshit, these guys are making are proving to be a real star on the crown of the St. Louis Cards.
    Dizzy Dean was a Saint compared to these two, and I’ll bet Stan the Man is spinning in his grave!

9. Fast Eddy - Jan 17, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Hey stupid, listen up. I am in Cincinnati and I don’t think Albert is juiced. Why is it that every good ball player now is suspect? Just because one or a few guys were, doesn’t mean they all are juiced up. I suppose you think Mays, Aaron, Musial etal. were on some king of juice too. You are nuts, so please stay on the East coast where you belong. Just comment on Clemons, A Rod, Jeter,(he’s gotta be juiced too) Manny, David Ortiz and the rest of the guys playing up there.

10. gopher - Jan 17, 2010 at 6:35 PM

tony l is a alcoholic idiot;

11. cafe world experts - Jan 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Saw your Blog bookmarked on Reddit.I love your site and marketing strategy. Check out my website if you get a chance, just click on name. My Cafe World Blog – http://dominatecafeworld.blogspot.com

12. Honeywell Oil Heater - Jan 28, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I would like to thank you for the endeavors you have made in publishing this article. I am trusting the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your fanciful writing abilities has inspired me to start my own blog now. Genuinely the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.

13. LAPD Oral Exam - Feb 2, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Saw your blog bookmarked on Digg.I love your site and marketing strategy.

14. vimax pills - Feb 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM

nice informations man, thank you a lot!

15. RedSoxJerry - Sep 26, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I strongly disagree with those who feel that PED’s are OK because baseball, like a circus freak show, is just for “entertainment”. To me it will always be important to compare players from different eras, their achievements and careers, stats and records. A great part of baseball, to me, is the stats, the record book and the perpetual comparisons and debates about who is the greatest pitcher, hitter, home run king, etc. PED’s have spoiled that. The toleration of PED’s has tarnished baseball stats and perhaps, even resulted in a team winning a championship that it otherwise would not have won. If you believe that PED’s should be tolerated in baseball for the sake of “entertainment”, then you should also be willing to accept the fact that baseball players of the “STEROID ERA” should be excluded from the historical record books and the National Baseball of Fame. Otherwise, it is disrespectful of the players of the past, who played the game relying solely on their own natural abilities. I also believe that the players who used, or might still be using PED’s are in effect CHEATING, not just because they are breaking a rule, but because they are getting an unfair advantage in competing not only against the “clean” players of the present, but also against the players of the past who did not use PED’s. They do not deserve to be ranked among the baseball greats and legends of the past.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3533)