Tony La Russa responds to Jack Clark

Jan 16, 2010, 12:51 PM EST

There’s a war of words in St. Louis. You may have already heard that
Jack Clark, who spent three years with the Cardinals, thinks Mark
McGwire should be banned from baseball. He also questioned Tony La Russa’s claim that he didn’t know McGwire was on steroids during his tenure in Oakland and St. Louis:

“[McGwire’s] own manager never knew that [Jose] Canseco and McGwire and
anybody else ever had taken steroids? Trust me, from [a former player], I have a lot of insight into who did
what and when but I’m not even going to talk about it. It really
doesn’t matter.”

La Russa responded to Clark in an interview with the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Friday night:

“I would say I always respected the career Jack had and he’s entitled to his opinion. But his comments about me are wrong.”

What better time for the whole gang to meet up at this weekend’s
“Winter Warm-Up” event in St. Louis? The team has confirmed that
McGwire will make his first public appearance as the team’s new hitting coach on Sunday,
where he is expected to sit down with one of the team’s broadcasters for
an interview in front of the fans. Just don’t expect Clark to be very
cordial should they cross paths this weekend.

“I’m not going to say hello. I’m not going to shake his hand. He’s a sad excuse for a
player in the industry of baseball. Just seeing him in uniform makes me
throw up.”

1. Tom - Jan 16, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Was that quote from Jack Clark an admission that he used steroids?

2. robert - Jan 16, 2010 at 2:56 PM

jack, you are a jerk mark hit home runs when he was ln high school college, and of course in the majors, jack,you where just a average player at best with a big mouth go back to the west cost and just go away,don,t come back to missouri. (we dont like you)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Phil - Jan 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM

No, that’s Jack Clark telling you he’s not here to talk about the past. ‘Cuz he’s a stand-up guy, not like that punk McGwire.

4. John - Jan 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Who cares about any of this. There is so much more going on in the world to worry about what happened in the pasted. Learn from it and move forward. Let it go and lets work on what’s coming up with baseball and teach the players respect for them selves and the game. As has been said before, no one person is bigger than the game. Time to grow!

5. John - Jan 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

6. bobby - Jan 16, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Tony Larussa says he didn’t know about McGwire. Probably pretending not to know about Pujols too, huh.
    Heads up on that one Robert.

7. houva - Jan 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM

They are all LIARS! Everyone of them!

8. ryko72 - Jan 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM

an 18 year major league career with an unjuiced 340 homers is an ‘average at best’ career? please, you obviously aren’t a real baseball fan.
    and newsflash homer, mcliar is about as west coast as it gets – born pomona, usc, oakland a’s…clark’s from pennsylvania.

9. ryko72 - Jan 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM

sunny how the midwest claims mcliar as one of it’s own just because he looks like a genetically-engineered cornfed farm boy.

10. Booner - Jan 16, 2010 at 7:47 PM

To Robert:
    The next time you post a comment to this site please take an English class so you can learn how to spell, how to place commas and periods, and how to write a sentence so people can understand what the hell your trying to say. I know five year olds that sound more intelligent than you do.

11. Ronnie Bill - Jan 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Jack Clark looks like he is on the juice. He should be a poster boy for before and after. Get a life, Jack! If Clark were only 10 years younger, he would have done the same and been at the cash trough. Sounds like sour grapes to me.
    And I hope ‘bobby’ has proof about Pujols. If not, liable is a punishable offense. Sounds like a comment from a member of the Kevin Slaten Blind Sheep Gallery!

12. Of Course Pujols is Juiced - Jan 16, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Of course Pujols is juiced. If you still think he’s clean, then you probably thought McGwire was clean right up until the day he admitted he wasn’t. Seems like people in St. Louis like being in denial as much as LaRussa. You’re all apparently a bunch of Sgt. Shultz’s.

13. ed - Jan 16, 2010 at 8:57 PM

white trash

14. Brett Schuchat - Jan 16, 2010 at 9:55 PM

While I appreciate your sentiment regarding the issue Jack Clark spoke of I can tell you, as someone who played and has been involved in the fitness business for years, that what these guys took (McGuire, Sosa, Rodriquez, Palmiero, Canseco etc.)absolutely helped them hit home runs. Certain PED’s can affect one’s central nervous system with respect to recognition and reaction. Since hitting a baseball is enhanced by being able to wait as long as possible for pitch recognition these PED’s could help with reaction, strength, injury recovery and many other ways. While McGuire is correct that it was his God given talent of hand eye coordination that made him an elite player he is still in denial regarding why he used and the plus effects he received from the PED’s.

15. Fast Eddy - Jan 16, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Oh for pete’s sake! He is just giving an opinion. He probably is angry that with the juice he took, he didn’t do quite as well as Mac or Bonds. This is a stupid conversation now. Lets get on with the new season. No one in the MLB offices is listening to Jack. And by the way, I saw him play a few times in Cinti. Jack was a good hitter, and he did plenty of damage to us with the long ball. I remember LaSorta used to say when Jack was at bat, there is a man in scoring position even with the bases empty.

16. Brett Schuchat - Jan 16, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Ronnie, evidently you think only St. Louis people think you’re off base here. It has now been some four years since baseball was embarrassed in Congress in front of the American people. While they are not able to test for HGH (there is no reliable test for it) their testing is now fairly comprhensive for many other PED’s. Pujols career has had no aberations in his 9 years, therefore I choose to believe, until there is a report or finding linking him to PED’s, to marvel at this superb player’s performance. I am a Yankees fan who does not excuse A-Rod, Clemens, Pettitte, or Giambi so don’t assume I am covering for those guys. I just don’t believe you would wish to be accused of something at your workplace even though I am certain your performance is unusually outstanding!

17. hoot4fau - Jan 16, 2010 at 10:27 PM

maybe larussa was in another prolonged drunken stupor when big mac and jose were poking each other’s asses. hell, i wonder if he is sober right now. i doubt it. i’ve never seen him when his eyes weren’t bleeding red.

18. Gerry Jalove - Jan 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM

LaRussa is an ‘ass’essory to the fact. He should shut his pie hole.
    Baseball will never be what it used to be, it is now a farce.
    As a die hard Cub fan, let me say this…. Sosa is the biggest fraud to play the game of Baseball…EVER. Corked bat,steroids, and a club hose a–hole !
    It was all about Sammy. Next is McGwire. Another steroids abuser. Possibly the biggest liar in Baseball. Shame on him, if I were the Maris family, I would spit in his face. The nerve of him to think he had the right to shake the hands of the Maris family, what a complete insult…his is just that despicable.
    A-Roid, Palmeiro and Bonds. At least Conseco has the balls to to admit he was a fraud.
    I applaud Jack Clark for being man enough to tell the sports world that cheating is for frauds and losers. Shame on the liars that tarnish he game. Ego maniac fools who had to cheat to receive the notoriety, to stroke their ego’s.
    Baseball fandom, it is up to us to voice our opinions on this matter.
    We cannot condone the cheating and steroid abuse that continue’s in America’s greatest game. Let’s not insult and contaminate Cooperstown and disrespect the Greatest players ever to don a uniform….Ruth, Gerhig, Mantle, Williams, Cobb, Banks, and all the others that played the game, and held it in the highest regard.
    To all the Cheats, please go away, far away, take your needles and syringes with you, and your overgrown heads too, you complete SCUM !!

19. I am Providence - Jan 17, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Brett, my name’s not Ronnie, but other than that I can’t argue with anything you wrote. And I’m a Red Sox fan. I don’t excuse Ortiz or Manny, and I realize that the only reason that the Mets, Yankees, Giants and A’s figure more prominently in the Mitchell Report than other teams is that he had 3 primary sources of evidence: McNamee, Radomski, and BALCO.
    Pujols seems like a good guy, and there’s no question that he’s a great player; he should end up as a first ballot hall of fame player. But when was the last time that someone put up the kind of offensive numbers he’s putting up without the help of PEDs? The cynic in me would say that the reason there are no aberrations in his 9 years is that he was on steroids or HGH from the beginning.
    As far as Pujols and the rest of the players having to face accusations, they can only blame themselves for that. Fehr and the players union have resisted comprehensive testing for years. If they had agreed to testing 15 or 20 years ago, they would have avoided this whole mess.
    While I hope and believe that my performance is unusually outstanding at my workplace, I will employ the Ross Rebagliati defense. Marijuana is not a performance ENHANCING drug.

20. cheaters justice - Jan 17, 2010 at 1:50 AM

This is not about cheating. This is about CRIMINAL DRUG DEALING minus those who actually went to their doctor for prescription.
    All these MLB apologists for these PEDs/steroids users are essentially condoning CRIMINAL behavior unless those players went to their doctor.
    Steroids became a federally controlled substance in 1990 in which there were/ARE CRIMINAL penalties. If any of these so called clean players sold,bought,distributed or dispensed a federally controlled substance without a doctor’s or pharmacist’s license they have committed a federal offense or crime no matter how minimal they think it may be.
    They transacted an ILLEGAL DRUG DEAL in many cases. Crack heads get arrested for buying a 5$ crack vial. Why shouldn’t these steroid junkies get arrested for ILLEGALLY buying their DRUG vial of CHOICE.
    This shouldn’t be about cheating it should be about CRIMINAL behavior in the name of sport & profit.

21. SportsLover7777 - Jan 17, 2010 at 4:29 AM

Baseball over the last few decades
    is a total joke with the HGH, Steroids
    and who knows what else.
    Commissioner Selig, Ownership, the Union and
    the Agents should all be labelled coconspirators
    in the most shameful era in baseball history
    bar none(the drug abuse era is worse than
    the “black sox scandal”).
    All these parties knew or should have known
    that something was not right in MLB.
    They are not generally stupid people.
    They are con artists hosing the suckers/fans
    to fork over billions in greenbacks
    to watch a bunch of doped up circus performers
    all become Babe Ruth, Henry Aaron and Cy
    Young when clean they would be just average
    players.
    Do not shoot the messengers or whistleblowers
    like Jack Clark, Conseco etc…
    Without them, this farce would still be going on
    undetected.

22. Janice - Jan 17, 2010 at 4:38 AM

I, for the life of me, cannot understand why Jose Canseco is upheld as a hero for being a rat! Had he not been blackballed from baseball, he would still be using and playing! He is a cry baby that thought he could nark people out for using and get revenge on MLB! Jack Clark, I respect his opinion but I’m sure if he were still playing today, people would be saying that he is a user because of his size. Leave Albert Pujols alone! People do have natural talent. I believe that the league test’s player’s pretty often now to make sure they are ALL clean. It is a new season and a New Year. Time to move forward and let go of the past.

23. Bill Kagy - Jan 17, 2010 at 7:26 AM

McGuire is still telling a fat lie to protect his EGO and pocket book. He should be ashamed—he is telling all the little kids to take steriods to heal faster “but little kids steriods won’t make you stronger, what a bold face lie!! He is a phony hero and a phony star. His phony legacy is more inportant to him than telling the truth to help the kids and the game that so many used to love. Athletes like him are destroying pro sports. They should be a bright and shinning star that all can look up to, “be a model man not a phony man” you owe it to the sport and to all who have played the game before you.

24. Poot Carr - Jan 17, 2010 at 7:39 AM

This looks like more spam to me. Of course, the only way to get a comment taken down here is to rip on DJ Short or make fun of Dick Ebersol.

25. Spice - Jan 17, 2010 at 8:15 AM

McLiar looks like a corn fed BULL

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5275)
  2. M. Kemp (3130)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2846)
  4. C. McGehee (2834)