Jan 17, 2010, 11:31 AM EDT
Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets that the Angels, Dodgers and Mets are “all in” on free agent Joel Pineiro.
The Mets have been connected to the 31-year-old right-hander all
winter, while the Dodgers have stepped up their pursuit in recent
weeks. The Angels, meanwhile, expressed interest early on, but have
money to spend after losing John Lackey and Chone Figgins.
Pineiro, like many free agent pitchers, hoped to use Randy Wolf’s
three-year, $30 million contract with the Brewers as a framework for a
new deal, but it hasn’t exactly worked out that way. At this point,
he’s more likely to find a contract just north of the two-year, $15
million contract the Nationals gave right-hander Jason Marquis.
On a related note, the Mets will be among a handful of teams in
attendance to watch Ben Sheets throw at the University of Louisiana on
Tuesday, according to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse. All involved will likely wait on investing in Pineiro until they see how Sheets checks out.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 50
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 62
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)