Jan 17, 2010, 11:31 AM EDT
Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets that the Angels, Dodgers and Mets are “all in” on free agent Joel Pineiro.
The Mets have been connected to the 31-year-old right-hander all
winter, while the Dodgers have stepped up their pursuit in recent
weeks. The Angels, meanwhile, expressed interest early on, but have
money to spend after losing John Lackey and Chone Figgins.
Pineiro, like many free agent pitchers, hoped to use Randy Wolf’s
three-year, $30 million contract with the Brewers as a framework for a
new deal, but it hasn’t exactly worked out that way. At this point,
he’s more likely to find a contract just north of the two-year, $15
million contract the Nationals gave right-hander Jason Marquis.
On a related note, the Mets will be among a handful of teams in
attendance to watch Ben Sheets throw at the University of Louisiana on
Tuesday, according to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse. All involved will likely wait on investing in Pineiro until they see how Sheets checks out.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 2
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 177
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (179)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)