UPDATE: McGwire has "testy give-and-take" with media

Jan 17, 2010, 3:49 PM EDT

3:49 PM: McGwire just got done answering questions from the media at the team’s Winter Warm-Up event in St. Louis. Dave van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune reports that the event “was cut short after six minutes of a testy give-and-take.”

2:32 PM: Matthew Leach of MLB.com reports that “Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns N’ Roses played as Mark McGwire took the stage to a standing ovation at the Cardinals’ “Winter Warm-Up” event on Sunday. See a picture of the scene here.

I think “The Needle And The Damage Done” by Neil Young would have been a more appropriate choice, but that’s just me.

1. Sheri - Jan 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM

That’s what used to play over the stadium loudspeaker when he came to bat. But I see your point.

2. Jose - Jan 17, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I dont get it, McGwire did Heroin? Good to see big Mac is still loved by the fans, despite all the “outraged” sports writers. God forbid someone takes roids to make baseball watchable.

3. Old Gator - Jan 17, 2010 at 4:22 PM

No dissociative schizophrenic was ever more out of touch with reality that your average sportswriter is out of touch with the fans.
    Unfortunately, this disjunction has a downside. The Atlanta fans also cheered wildly for John Rocker after he shot his idiot mouth off in that infamous interview in SI (or whichever rag it was – I only “read” the swimsuit issue, and that only in the shower).
    I wish I had been there when Peterson and Kekich came back….

4. tim - Jan 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM

along with mark you should be banned from baseball.

5. Eric - Jan 17, 2010 at 6:35 PM

he did it when they were LEGAL
    yes he should have an asterisk but its not as bad as Bonds did
    At least Mark came out and told the truth

6. dan - Jan 17, 2010 at 7:06 PM

When McGwire’s testicles fall off or he gets cancerous tumors ala Lyle Alzado then he will have paid his debt. Like the Lance Armstrong nagging allegations why not level the playing field in all of these professional sports? Let em all inject themselves with whatever the F*@%! they want and we can be entertained by watching them climb up mountains in France like a supernova or hit the ball to the moon. Guys are doing PED in every sport anyway and they won’t ever stop so why regulate them? McGwire did come clean so let it rest.

7. Old Gator - Jan 17, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Not that I approve of what Mac did or anything – hell, I don’t particularly approve of most of what I’ve done, especially marrying my first wife – but it’s nice to imagine that snarly, self-righteous Chow mix, Jack Clark, sitting there with his duodenum clenching like the rubber band in a toy airplane, listening to those cheers for MacGwire.
    PS, it was Tommy Herr, Vince Coleman, Willie McGee, Terry Pendleton and Ozzie Smith who drove the Cardinals team of their day, with Clark and Tudor sitting off to the sides of the locker room growling like a couple of Tasmanian devils at the same garbage dump at any approaching victim. And no one lined up outside the gate for the stadiums around the country to open to watch Clark take batting practice either. Sound like Clark hasn’t gotten any nicer. At least Tudor has remained quiet.

8. Greg Palmer - Jan 17, 2010 at 9:10 PM

What most of you including D.J.Short forget or ignore so you can sell space here is that baseball had absolutely NO testing procedures in place nor any banned substances when Bonds, Sosa, and yes Mac played. If it is not against the rules then how can you hold the rules against them after the fact. If the infractions occured after the rule change – then yes I say hang them all from the highest tree at noon in the town square. But if the infractions happened before then lets get on with it and quit ball busting these guys. Like Pete Rose – it is OK for the owners to bet a turkey or bushel of clams on a series but not money. It is the principle of the word “bet”. Let Mac, Barry, Sammy, and Pete into the HOF and get over it. God you people dwell on the negative so much it makes me sick.

9. Moses Green - Jan 17, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I love you baby can I have some more?

10. cheaters justice - Jan 18, 2010 at 1:36 AM

testy?
    McGwire should thrilled that he only considered a cheater and not a CRIMINAL because unless a doctor and/or prescription got hime those steroids he participated in ILLEGAL drug dealing. If nothing else he was in possession of Federally Controlled Substances after 1990. A misdemeanor it may be it is still CRIMINAL behavior.
    How long are the statute of limitations on Federal Drug charges?

11. Kerry Clacher - Jan 23, 2010 at 3:16 PM

I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!

12. Banks - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

What the… you will not belief this. My mindless cat just farted on my knee!? I mean what is the problem with that!? I nourish that thing and I end up with this in exchange. I even now can not belief this. Anyways, you have a number of useful info there in your article. I knew Google will bring me to a few unique stuff today :). Okay need to hunt that animal now! Have a great time you all!

13. Baseball news - Feb 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work.

14. Roslyn Mulherin - Feb 6, 2010 at 2:30 AM

All of your pictures of your bathing suit models seem to be outstanding. You have done a fantastic job covering the latest fashions for 2010 and beyond. Summer months will probably be right here sooner than all of us know it and people will almost all be shopping for bikiniss like the styles in all the blog post. Sports Illustrated basically brought out the actual bathing suit edition and we may all be shopping for bikinis which includes bikinis of this actual story.

15. Wally Miraclesuit - Feb 8, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Individuals pix applying the swimwear model are lovely. You will have carried out a wonderful task accounting with the most recent fashions because of this year. The hot months months will usually tend being at this point nicely before all folks be aware of it and also we’ll will practically all be within the lookout for bikiniss for instance the styles overall of your respective world wide web website. Physical activities Illustrated just introduced the specific swimming swimsuit edition and that we may well all be about the look for bikinis including the bikinis inside of your record.

16. Abdul Swimsuit - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM

The photos about the bathing suit products seem to be phenomenal. You have accomplished an admirable job accounting for the modern day fashions for this year. The summer season is without doubt in this case prior to when any of us are aware of it and in many cases we will all be searching for bathing fits much like the the types in the weblog publish. Physical activities Illustrated fundamentally arrived out using the distinct bathing suit edition and we’re likely to practically all be attempting to find bikinis as well as the bikiniss required as part of your statement.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3117)