Jan 17, 2010, 4:20 PM EST
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe went over the wealth of free agents left on the market earlier this morning.
We’ve covered a couple of them here today, including Joe Crede and Joel
Pineiro, but Scott Merkin of MLB.com passes along word that three or
four teams — including the Rays — have contacted free agent designated hitter Jim Thome. He does so with the caveat that “nothing is contractually-imminent.”
Aside from the “Thinnest rumor of the year,”
we haven’t heard a whole lot about the 39-year-old slugger this winter.
And teams that he would make a great deal of sense for (White Sox,
Rangers, Angels) look to have settled on other options. That said, Thome could be a nice fit as part of a lefty-swinging DH-tandem with Pat Burrell in Tampa.
Thome’s OPS slipped to 847 last season, but he put up an 881 mark and .383 on-base percentage against right-handers. Meanwhile, Burrell has a 916 career OPS and .403 on-base percentage against left-handers, even though he failed to hit a home run in 119 at-bats against southpaws last season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)