Albert Pujols downplays contract status … again

Jan 18, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT

Albert Pujols made an appearance at the Cardinals’ “winter warm-up” event this afternoon and naturally the assembled media asked him about his contract status despite the fact that he’s signed through 2011. Here’s what Pujols had to say:

My timetable is when I’m a free agent. Right now we’ve got a couple years. I don’t need to worry about that right now. Right now my job is to let my agent do my talking. We’re open to talk about it. But I’ll tell you: When the season starts we’re not talking about it.

Rarely has there been this much attention paid to the contract status of a player still two full seasons away from free agency, but I suppose everything is a little different for the best player in baseball. For comparison Joe Mauer is merely the best player in the American League, but unlike Pujols he’s just one season away from free agency and yet the Twin Cities media has paid about half as much attention to his contract status.

1. Mike - Jan 18, 2010 at 3:14 PM

As far as I am concerned, Albert is a great player, but he is tainted by steroids.

2. YANKEES1996 - Jan 18, 2010 at 3:31 PM

After the contract that Holliday signed I cannot wait to see the contract that the Cardinals have to come up with to keep “The Machine” in St.Louis. How they intend to come up with the money is an interesting scenario as well, maybe they will just give him the team and stadium.

3. matt - Jan 18, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Mike,
    As far as you are concerned you have not a leg to stand on. You say Pujols is tainted by steroids…back it up. Pujols has been repeatedly tested and has come out clean. As far as I’m concerned you must be a Cub’s fan.

4. Jonny5 - Jan 18, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I’ll just sit back now and wait for the Yankee fans to show up to object to your “best player in baseball” comment. They’ll start with the old played out “weaker pitching in the NL line” is my bet…

5. dougtucson - Jan 18, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Mike, is this just a gratuitous whine prompted by Albert envy, or do you specialize in cheap shots?

6. Omega - Jan 18, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Speaking as a Cubs fan, Albert Pujols has my respect as probably the best player in the game today, and undoubtedly in the NL.
    To say he is tainted by steroids is absurd beyong the pale.
    How great would it be for the Cubs new owner’s to swoop in and sign him away from the Cards?! I know it would never happen, but as a Cubs fan sometimes all I have is my dreams. :-)

7. Steve - Jan 18, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Signing Albert will probably take some creativity on the Cardinals’ part, to be sure. I’m a Cards fan and want them to do whatever it takes. I’m sure he’ll get $25-$30M per year (or more), but I’m OK with that. I’m trying to think of a number so high that my reaction would be “jeez, for that much, I’m *glad* they didn’t sign him”. Nope, still can’t imagine it. I’ll never be glad to see him leave, even if it’s for some ridiculous amount of money. Players like him come around once in a generation, if that often, and you just don’t let guys like that walk away.
    If he retires as a Cardinal, he probably stays with the organization afterwards as a coach, and remains active in the community. All that is in jeopardy if he goes somewhere else, so the Cards should be thinking about that as well.

8. Ken - Jan 18, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Mike – you are an idiot.

9. chzmo - Jan 18, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Mike, How the hell do you make that statement, are you privy to something noone else is or is it just sour grapes?

10. Gregory Despain - Jan 28, 2010 at 3:05 AM

11. Andrew A. Sailer - Jan 28, 2010 at 3:10 AM

12. Burton Haynes - Jan 28, 2010 at 3:20 AM

I really think that this blog can help people. Well done :)

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4941)