Babe Ruth should have gone in to Cooperstown as a Brave

Jan 18, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT

I realize that it’s a holiday and the day after a big football weekend and that we’re really in the doldrums of the offseason, but can someone tell me if there’s a less compelling question in baseball than whether Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine will go into the Hall of Fame wearing Braves caps?

I mean, I guess you can argue about anything — and sure, Maddux had one legitimately great season as a Cub — but isn’t this kind of like wondering whether Willie Mays would go in as a Met or Hank Aaron as a Brewer?

OK, I take it back. It’s actually a fun question, not for its own sake, but because now it has me thinking of what would the most awesomely inappropriate Hall caps. My short list:

Babe Ruth, Braves;
Ty Cobb, Athletics;
Christy Mathewson, Reds
Yogi Berra, Mets
Steve Carlton, Giants
Rickey Henderson, Red Sox
Leo Durocher, Astros
Reggie Jackson, Orioles
Harmon Killebrew, Royals
Eddie Matthews, Tigers
Warren Spahn, Giants

Any other candidates?

1. Old Gator - Jan 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Johnny Damon in a Tigers jersey and a Braves cap?

2. Dan (aka Old Gator) Shaughnessy - Jan 18, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Mark McGwire in a Gestapo uniform.

3. nfieldr - Jan 18, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Dale Murphy in a Phillies hat. Oh wait… nevermind

4. Ryan - Jan 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Paul Molitor and Dave Winfield in Twins Caps.

5. Old Gator - Jan 18, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Johnny Damon in his Boston beard and a Borg cap. Then you could inscribe “what’s wrong with this bas-relief?” at the bottom of the representation and have at least one plaque in that Hall of Ennui that (a) actually looks anything like its subject and (b) generates the slightest interest.

6. smsetnor - Jan 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Derek Jeter deserves his own Jeter hat. It’d be the classiest hat in the HOF. His hat would show up earlier and out work every other hat. Not only that, I feel like Jeter’s hat would teach Cobb’s hat a thing or two about respecting other people and cultures. It definitely wouldn’t date Madonna.

7. Cru11 - Jan 18, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Jeff Bagwell-Red Sox. Okay, okay, I know he didnt actually don a Sox uniform but they did trade him away for an aging reliever in Larry Andersen.

8. Christopher - Jan 18, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Rogers Hornsby as a Boston Brave or New York Giant, Christy Mathewson as a Cincinnati Red (hey, he was 1-0 for them!), Cy Young as a St. Louis Perfecto, Honus Wagner as a Louisville Colonel, Jimmie Foxx as a Chicago Cub or Philadelphia Phillie…

9. Will - Jan 18, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Ferguson Jenkins, Red Sox
    Juan Marichal, Red Sox
    Orlando Cepeda, Red Sox
    Andre Dawson, Red Sox

10. Tony A - Jan 18, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Hornsby as a Brave or Giant would seem strange, but, one should remember that in his one year as a Brave he set the teams modern single season batting record, and that while passing thru from his Cards’ franchise/NL/MLB single season batting record to the aforementioned Braves record and the Cubs team record that shortly followed, he also held, ever so briefly, the Giants’ single season record, too…whatta stick…

11. Stormy Koneval - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I know this is really boring and you are skipping to the next comment, but I just wanted to throw you a big thanks – you cleared up some things for me!

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3747)