Jan 18, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
I realize that it’s a holiday and the day after a big football weekend and that we’re really in the doldrums of the offseason, but can someone tell me if there’s a less compelling question in baseball than whether Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine will go into the Hall of Fame wearing Braves caps?
I mean, I guess you can argue about anything — and sure, Maddux had one legitimately great season as a Cub — but isn’t this kind of like wondering whether Willie Mays would go in as a Met or Hank Aaron as a Brewer?
OK, I take it back. It’s actually a fun question, not for its own sake, but because now it has me thinking of what would the most awesomely inappropriate Hall caps. My short list:
Babe Ruth, Braves;
Ty Cobb, Athletics;
Christy Mathewson, Reds
Yogi Berra, Mets
Steve Carlton, Giants
Rickey Henderson, Red Sox
Leo Durocher, Astros
Reggie Jackson, Orioles
Harmon Killebrew, Royals
Eddie Matthews, Tigers
Warren Spahn, Giants
Any other candidates?
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'