Jan 18, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
I realize that it’s a holiday and the day after a big football weekend and that we’re really in the doldrums of the offseason, but can someone tell me if there’s a less compelling question in baseball than whether Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine will go into the Hall of Fame wearing Braves caps?
I mean, I guess you can argue about anything — and sure, Maddux had one legitimately great season as a Cub — but isn’t this kind of like wondering whether Willie Mays would go in as a Met or Hank Aaron as a Brewer?
OK, I take it back. It’s actually a fun question, not for its own sake, but because now it has me thinking of what would the most awesomely inappropriate Hall caps. My short list:
Babe Ruth, Braves;
Ty Cobb, Athletics;
Christy Mathewson, Reds
Yogi Berra, Mets
Steve Carlton, Giants
Rickey Henderson, Red Sox
Leo Durocher, Astros
Reggie Jackson, Orioles
Harmon Killebrew, Royals
Eddie Matthews, Tigers
Warren Spahn, Giants
Any other candidates?
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)