Is Omar Minaya finally about to get the axe?

Jan 18, 2010, 12:24 PM EDT

Everybody is still up in arms with the way the Mets handled the thing with Carlos Beltran’s surgery, but the conventional wisdom — stoked by the fact that assistant GM John Ricco, and not Minaya, gave the team’s public comments on the matter — is that Omar Minaya is most responsible for the screwup, having told Beltran to go ahead with the surgery, but then falling back to some breach in protocol as an excuse for the team’s anger.

Now comes word from John Perrotto at Baseball Prospectus that Omar may be out the door:

One Mets source insists that the past week’s whole knee surgery saga with center fielder Carlos Beltran might be the “final straw” for GM Omar Minaya’s job security.

Maybe Omar knows this.  I mean, it certainly would explain the snail’s pace of the Bengie Molina negotiations.  “Can’t fire me while I still have this project!”

(link via Amazin’ Avenue)

1. Old Gator - Jan 18, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I like the way Omar has his head slightly tilted in that photo – like he’s got a Gowachin coaching him in how to commit laupuk.
    Craig, you’re a former legum. You want to be Omar’s defense counsel?

2. Jonny5 - Jan 18, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I love Omar, I honestly hope he is the GM for the mets until he dies. But I’m also a Phillies Fan ;>P

3. Old Gator - Jan 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM

That’s a great way to look at it. You, too, could be a member of the Gowachin bar. Craig, any room in your firm for an intern?

4. kirk - Jan 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I can not believe Minaya is even still around. He should have been canned after the Tony Bernazard / Adam Rubin incident. Maybe the next team that hires him, if he is quailified, will never let him give a press conference. He may be in the running for the “Worst GM” in Mets History. He can not even sign Molina who wants to play for the Mets. Really Embarrassing.

5. john pileggi - Jan 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM

The issue is more ownership than Minaya. Molina wants what no other team in baseball will give him, which is a multi-year contract. Minaya is holding tight on one and an option. He got Bay done below what others thought he would command. The Beltran thing is ownership problems. Let the guy run the team, see what 2010 brings. If they fail, blame Minaya, but to disrupt the team at this point (it is disrupted enough) will blow up a season where a wild card is a possibility. Finish the roster work and go to spring training. Plenty of time to fire people.

6. Joey B - Jan 18, 2010 at 3:06 PM

” He got Bay done below what others thought he would command.”
    The RS offered him $60M/4, then signed Cameron. Minaya, in view of the fact that Bay in a corner, offered him $82.5M. How $82.5M is less than $60M is beyond me.
    FWIW, Bay gets $16.5M per, while Holliday gets $17.1M, and Holliday is a better player.

7. Jonny5 - Jan 18, 2010 at 3:09 PM

LOL!!! I know you bought the Whipping star for the cover alone!!! Just wondering if that particular species has a tail in their younger stages of metamorphisis. The tail on the cover isn’t too bad if you’re color blind.. http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n0/n2093.jpg

8. Old Gator - Jan 18, 2010 at 6:05 PM

That’s a fantastic cover, but really, if you have cable and get the Discover network’s FitTV channel, thirty minutes with the Namaste Yoga girls will make her nearly irrelevant. And anyway, I have the hardcover out of a used book bin on Washington Square and I never saw the goddamned dustjacket – although that looks to me like the cover of a trade paperback.
    As far as the tadpoles, if they didn’t have tails, how would they avoid being winnowed? The Gowachin proverb is: “If you wish to understand the Gowachin, you must understand the graluz. In baseball terms, that’s a lot like saying “If you wish to understand the Feesh, you must understand the Rule 5 Draft.” You need to progress from Whipping Star, much as I love it, to the actually far superior The Dosadi Experiment, with its extended exposition of all things Gowachin, including the aforementioned laupuk and, best of all, a detailed study of the Gowachin legal system including a long trial scene wherein McKee gets to ply his trade as legum. I guarantee you that as divinely exotic as it seems to us, the logic of Gowachin jurisprudence would strike Craig as straight out of evening court hours in Atlanta.
    Craig, paying attention? You really need to read this book. Every escaped lawyer needs to read this book.

9. WhoisOldGator - Jan 18, 2010 at 8:54 PM

What is the deal with Old Gator?
    Does he know Craig in real life, or is he a contributor to the site in some way? He shows up in every blog comment section to the MLB area at this site.

10. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 18, 2010 at 9:01 PM

He saved my life in the war. There I was, at San Juan Hill, with a dozen dirty Spaniards bearing down on me, sabers bared, blood in their godless eyes. Gator came out of nowhere and fought them all off with nothing but shillelagh and a test tube filled with ultra-concentrated and weaponized yellow fever.
    In gratitude, on that day I vowed to create a forum where he could deposit his laudanum-induced ramblings. It took 111 years, but this is that forum.

11. Old Gator - Jan 18, 2010 at 10:12 PM

It isn’t all that one sided now. To keep standing on this cybernetic egg crate, I need to go out every few nights and find street waifs so Craig and I can have the fresh blood we need. And yes, I do look like David Bowie, but at this point Craig has long ceased to resemble Catherine Deneuve.

12. Lara - Jan 18, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Please vote for Martha Coakley tomorrow. Her neocon opponent, Scott Brown, is trying to take Ted Kennedy’s seat in the U.S. Senate. He opposes health care, gay marriage, transgender rights, Evolution and President Obama’s agenda of change and progress. Please visit Martha Coakley’s site and help anyway you can. Thank you.

13. Fast Eddy - Jan 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Listen up stupid. This is baseball. We don’t give a SH–T about your politics. Take a hike, and do not comment further on this site. This is the only place where we can escape morons like you.

14. Shely - Jan 19, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Well, I think it is about time to get rid of Omar. He clearly has failed at the job. Oh ya, I want to echo the opinion of Fast Eddy to Lara. Get lost lady.

15. Cincy Sam - Jan 19, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Wait a minute here. Scott Brown opposes gay marriage, and transgender rights? And he is against Obama’s hope and change? OMG.. Is that a bad thing? I think I will try to move back to Mass. so I can vote for this guy.

16. Roy R - Jan 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Couldn’t agree with you more. Now that Pinerro is gone as well, Minaya should follow them. He makes a splash with one good trade a year and then can’t get whats needed done. He’s a lame duck and it is time to replace him. It looks like 2010 will be a replicate of 2009.

17. Offshore Pharmacy - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Hey very nice blog!!

18. Estela Micklos - Feb 23, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Though I would’ve loved it much more if you added a relevant video or at least pictures to back up the explanation, I still thought that your write-up quite helpful. It’s usually hard to make a complicated matter seem very easy. I enjoy your weblog and will sign up to your feed so I will not miss anything. Fantastic content

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3485)