Jan 18, 2010, 12:24 PM EDT
Everybody is still up in arms with the way the Mets handled the thing with Carlos Beltran’s surgery, but the conventional wisdom — stoked by the fact that assistant GM John Ricco, and not Minaya, gave the team’s public comments on the matter — is that Omar Minaya is most responsible for the screwup, having told Beltran to go ahead with the surgery, but then falling back to some breach in protocol as an excuse for the team’s anger.
Now comes word from John Perrotto at Baseball Prospectus that Omar may be out the door:
One Mets source insists that the past week’s whole knee surgery saga with center fielder Carlos Beltran might be the “final straw” for GM Omar Minaya’s job security.
Maybe Omar knows this. I mean, it certainly would explain the snail’s pace of the Bengie Molina negotiations. “Can’t fire me while I still have this project!”
(link via Amazin’ Avenue)
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (138)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)