Jan 18, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Hairston is officially a Padre, agreeing to a one-year, $2.125 million deal.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that free agent utility man Jerry Hairston Jr. is “closing in” on a contract to join his younger brother Scott in San Diego.
Hairston would make more than $2 million with the Padres, according to
Rosenthal, and is expected to play a super-utility role with the club.
Last weekend, Hairston was linked to joining his brother Scott in Oakland. Of course, this was before Scott was re-acquired by the Padres this weekend as part of the Kevin Kouzmanoff deal.
Hairston, who turns 34 in May, batted .251/.315/.394 with 10 home runs, 34 RBI and seven stolen bases in 383 at-bats between the Reds and World Champion Yankees last season, appearing at all three outfield positions, second base, shortstop and third base.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 21
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)