Jan 18, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Hairston is officially a Padre, agreeing to a one-year, $2.125 million deal.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that free agent utility man Jerry Hairston Jr. is “closing in” on a contract to join his younger brother Scott in San Diego.
Hairston would make more than $2 million with the Padres, according to
Rosenthal, and is expected to play a super-utility role with the club.
Last weekend, Hairston was linked to joining his brother Scott in Oakland. Of course, this was before Scott was re-acquired by the Padres this weekend as part of the Kevin Kouzmanoff deal.
Hairston, who turns 34 in May, batted .251/.315/.394 with 10 home runs, 34 RBI and seven stolen bases in 383 at-bats between the Reds and World Champion Yankees last season, appearing at all three outfield positions, second base, shortstop and third base.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)