Jan 18, 2010, 2:30 PM EST
UPDATE: Hairston is officially a Padre, agreeing to a one-year, $2.125 million deal.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that free agent utility man Jerry Hairston Jr. is “closing in” on a contract to join his younger brother Scott in San Diego.
Hairston would make more than $2 million with the Padres, according to
Rosenthal, and is expected to play a super-utility role with the club.
Last weekend, Hairston was linked to joining his brother Scott in Oakland. Of course, this was before Scott was re-acquired by the Padres this weekend as part of the Kevin Kouzmanoff deal.
Hairston, who turns 34 in May, batted .251/.315/.394 with 10 home runs, 34 RBI and seven stolen bases in 383 at-bats between the Reds and World Champion Yankees last season, appearing at all three outfield positions, second base, shortstop and third base.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)