Major League Baseball is getting angry at Tom Hicks

Jan 18, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT

While everyone keeps assuming that the sale of the Texas Rangers to the Greenberg Group is imminent and that no one should be worrying, the fact is that the Friday deadline has come and gone and there’s still no deal.  Could last month’s report of financial difficulties be the problem? Or is it something new? Jon Heyman reports that all isn’t as rosy as everyone wants it to seem, and the problem is Tom Hicks, who is acting as both seller and (minority) buyer in this deal:

But MLB has about had it with Hicks, and top officials say they may
soon take over the sale of the team, which potentially could bring the
other two hopeful buyers back into the picture, those being Houston
businessman Jim Crane, and former agent, and current White Sox executive, Dennis Gilbert, who has appeared to be baseball’s top choice from the start. The sale
price is expected to be $570 million, according to sources. One
impediment to a deal has been Hicks’ insistence upon maintaining
significant power even after collecting the sale proceeds. Greenberg’s
big edge had been that he was willing to allow Hicks to remain as a
board member who’d attend owners meetings.

MLB fronted Hicks millions in order to meet payroll and expenses last summer.  One wonders, based on what Heyman is saying, what kinds of strings were attached to that deal. Could they just step in and make the deal with Greenberg — or call Crane or Gilbert — against Hicks’ wishes?

1. RichardInDallas - Jan 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Tom Hicks needs to get the hell out of the way. The only semblence of success since he’s had anything to do with this team has come since he ceded significant power to Nolan Ryan. Division titles in 97 and 99 were residual from when W ran things. He is an overly funded buffoon that just doesn’t get it. Somebody PLEASE do SOMETHING, and DO IT NOW! Imagine my angst, counting on a wishy washy idiot to force the hand of a buffoon… Living in Dallas like I do, I might have to become a football or basketball fan of the local teams to not have an obnoxious, meddling owner. Oh, hell, maybe I should just move…

2. carlos - Jan 18, 2010 at 5:39 PM

I’d go with your last option and move.

3. L.J Masterson - Jan 18, 2010 at 5:49 PM

go rangers go

4. APBA Guy - Jan 18, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Between the sale of the Rangers and his being virtually declared a dead man walking if he were to ever show his face at Liverpool, Hicks should do what Zell did in Chicago and sell up, retaining his 5% as a silent partner for the tax break (a loophole we need to close) but getting as far away from the team as possible after the sale.
    I watch Sky Sports News at night before bed, and if it weren’t for the Glazer’s admission that they lost $ 60M last year at Man United, this season’s Liverpool disaster would be the top story every night.
    I still have the Rangers finishing above the beloved A’s this year, but if they want to do better than that they need to push Hicks into the nearest dumpster so they can maneuver and improve the team. Much as I’d love for San Mateo College alum and Burlingame native Scott Feldman to duplicate last year’s success, I don’t see it, and I think the Rangers will need to be active to get more bullpen and a deeper bench. Can’t do any of that with Hicks still around.

5. todd - Jan 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM

I appreciate Tom Hicks for what he’s done in the past. I really do. He’s helped bring some semblance of a team here. We fans often overlook that part. He did bring in Ryan.. he helped retain Young, he has kept prices reasonable for those of us who aren’t loaded, upper-middle rich class.
    That said, it’s time for him to go. Mr. Hicks – thanks, but bye. The Greenburg-Ryan combination, though maybe not the wealthiest of the groups, has the best chance for success. Mr. Hicks, take your money and run. Run, son, run. Personally, I don’t even want you on the board.
    BTW, W never ran things with the Rangers. He was a minority shareholder that helped the 90’s teams have enough leverage financially to bring in some big name players and coaches. Plus, his name alone was enough for signature loans.

6. The Rabbit - Jan 18, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Tom Hicks is another example of an egomaniac who makes Darren Daulton’s belief in pod people seem quite reasonable. Like the management of bailout banks/companies who awarded themselves large bonuses and Donald Trump’s grandstanding after bankruptcy, Hicks still expects to be rewarded for his poor management and decision making.
    And these are the same people who think “the poor” need to “take responsibility for their actions”!

7. GimmeSomeSteel - Jan 19, 2010 at 12:08 AM

There’s no such thing as an owner in Dallas who’s not “an obnoxious, meddling owner”. Hicks, Cuban, and above all Jerry “We win, it’s all about me, we lose, it’s all about those guys I just fired” Jones are about as bad a set of owners in that respect as you can get.
    Don’t get me wrong–I like Cuban. He’s a fan as well as a meddling owner, and he’s such a pain in the a** to David Stern that The Troll had to order the refs to throw an entire NBA Finals so Cuban’s team wouldn’t win.

8. Roberto Balhorn - Feb 10, 2010 at 5:38 AM

Donald Trump is the man. He also has a fantastic head of hair. I truly am jealous.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4930)