Miss baseball? Spring training is a month away

Jan 18, 2010, 2:41 AM EDT

springtraining-pre-100117.jpgWith apologies to the likes of Joel Pineiro and Johnny Damon, who are still looking for work, the hot stove has pretty much cooled down to a slow, dull simmer. These are the dog days of the offseason.

But for those of you – like myself – who are missing baseball, we have some good news for you: The boys will be back on the field soon, as spring training is only a month away. Yep that’s right, pitchers and catchers will begin reporting to sites around Arizona and Florida on Feb. 18.

Baseball is just around the corner.

You can view a chart of start dates for each team here, and a spring training game schedule here.

And in the meantime while you’re counting down the days, check out Matthew’s “Diving into the Depths” series as he breaks down the depth chart of all 30 teams.

1. Dan - Jan 18, 2010 at 8:10 AM

I can’t wait. Baseball breathes life into each year. Go Yankees

2. Malcohm McGregor - Jan 18, 2010 at 8:38 AM

It is a long time from November to March, but very soon will hear the sound of baseball once again. The crack of the bat and the pop of a baseball hitting the leather. I can hardly wait for “Play Ball”.

3. Old Gator - Jan 18, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I can’t wait to see which beloved Feesh veteran (in Marleen land, that’s anyone who reports to Spring training after having played in teal during the preceding September) gets traded for which package of EYP’s this year. Thank Buddha I live so close to the Miccosukee casino, so I can place my bets on this year’s turnovers and salary dumps legally. And I see where Jeffrey Loria got himself a new Maxwell. Hope he isn’t also thinking of studying violin.
    Joeprodolshark Stadium is getting all gussied up for the Stupor Bowl. They took down that repulsive yellow tarp (the color of urine, naturally) with that idiotic Land Shark logo on it and replaced it with a more polychromatic mural full of NFL corporate sponsors’ logos. Gets right to the spirit of the thing, no?
    Am I the only one in Miami who cringes when he thinks of naming a stadium “Land Shark”? Yeah, I know – wait a year or two and they’ll be calling it something else. Even the dumbest advertising rep will be able to figure out that the more folks he can get to try the stuff, the faster they’ll spit it out and go find something else.

4. YANKEES1996 - Jan 18, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Finally, my bags are packed and I’m ready to go to Florida for a couple of weeks. Everybody all together now “PLAY BALL”!!!!

5. Sven-Erik - Jan 18, 2010 at 1:49 PM

April is still a long way off. Thank goodness for ESPN America. I waited for something like that for 15 years over here. When there is a day game somewhere on the East Coast or Mid West, it comes on here in Sweden at around 8:00 pm or so.
    So right after I put the kids to bed, I can kick back for an evening of live Baseball. But my Swedish wife is NEVER thrilled. There are several Baseball clubs here in Sweden, but since I have never been very athletic, I have never tried out.
    Here is the link for the Swedish Baseball Federation if anyone is interested. There is an English translation, you’ll find a link entitled “In English” in the upper right hand corner.
    Lets see what my Chicago teams do this year.
    Play Ball!
    Ja, shore…

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5479)