Jan 18, 2010, 2:41 AM EDT
With apologies to the likes of Joel Pineiro and Johnny Damon, who are still looking for work, the hot stove has pretty much cooled down to a slow, dull simmer. These are the dog days of the offseason.
But for those of you – like myself – who are missing baseball, we have some good news for you: The boys will be back on the field soon, as spring training is only a month away. Yep that’s right, pitchers and catchers will begin reporting to sites around Arizona and Florida on Feb. 18.
Baseball is just around the corner.
And in the meantime while you’re counting down the days, check out Matthew’s “Diving into the Depths” series as he breaks down the depth chart of all 30 teams.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 45
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 23
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 42
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)