Jan 18, 2010, 2:41 AM EDT
With apologies to the likes of Joel Pineiro and Johnny Damon, who are still looking for work, the hot stove has pretty much cooled down to a slow, dull simmer. These are the dog days of the offseason.
But for those of you – like myself – who are missing baseball, we have some good news for you: The boys will be back on the field soon, as spring training is only a month away. Yep that’s right, pitchers and catchers will begin reporting to sites around Arizona and Florida on Feb. 18.
Baseball is just around the corner.
And in the meantime while you’re counting down the days, check out Matthew’s “Diving into the Depths” series as he breaks down the depth chart of all 30 teams.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)