Jan 18, 2010, 1:51 PM EDT
MASNSports.com’s Ben Goessling “caught up with Nationals manager Jim Riggleman” for an interview this morning and the lengthy Q&A session included some noteworthy tidbits:
- Matt Capps will enter spring training as the clear favorite for closer duties, but Brian Bruney may also get some ninth-inning chances and Riggleman “might” use Eddie Guardado or Sean Burnett to close things out against “a strong left-handed lineup” because “all I want is to make sure we get the outs.”
- Riggleman hasn’t spoken to Cristian Guzman about a potential move to second base since September, when the longtime shortstop made it clear that he was against a switch. If the Nationals sign a second baseman like Orlando Hudson they’d keep Guzman at shortstop, but barring that he’ll likely move to second base to make room for prospect Ian Desmond.
- Elijah Dukes will “definitely” enter spring training as the starting right fielder, with Riggleman noting that “we need to put him out there every day.”
Riggleman also touched on a few other things, including how spring training with him will be different than spring training with former manager Manny Acta, so the whole interview is definitely worth reading.
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot