Jan 18, 2010, 2:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: One down, five to go, as Shawn Marcum signs, avoiding arbitration. The deal is for $850,000, which ain’t bad for your top starter. Now, whether having Shawn Marcum as your top starter is another question . . .
1:25 P.M.: Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star reports that
I suppose that means he’s a tough guy. Of course it’s easy to be tough when your arbitration eligible players are Shaun Marcum (hurt all last season), Brian Tallet (generic swingman), Casey Janssen (hurt in 2008 and ineffective last year), Shawn Camp (useful, but not expensive or unique) and Jeremy Accardo (up and down between the minors and the big club). The only interesting case is Jason Frasor who is a nice player to have and arguably made real money last year ($1.45 million), but it’s not as though an arbitration loss there will break the bank.
People talk about the arbitration process being skewed in favor of the players or in favor of the owners all the time, but ultimately it’s skewed in favor of the side with the better case. This year the Blue Jays have a lot of good cases. Why not roll the dice?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 52
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 47
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 73
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (88)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery