Jan 18, 2010, 2:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: One down, five to go, as Shawn Marcum signs, avoiding arbitration. The deal is for $850,000, which ain’t bad for your top starter. Now, whether having Shawn Marcum as your top starter is another question . . .
1:25 P.M.: Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star reports that
I suppose that means he’s a tough guy. Of course it’s easy to be tough when your arbitration eligible players are Shaun Marcum (hurt all last season), Brian Tallet (generic swingman), Casey Janssen (hurt in 2008 and ineffective last year), Shawn Camp (useful, but not expensive or unique) and Jeremy Accardo (up and down between the minors and the big club). The only interesting case is Jason Frasor who is a nice player to have and arguably made real money last year ($1.45 million), but it’s not as though an arbitration loss there will break the bank.
People talk about the arbitration process being skewed in favor of the players or in favor of the owners all the time, but ultimately it’s skewed in favor of the side with the better case. This year the Blue Jays have a lot of good cases. Why not roll the dice?
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (139)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)