Jan 18, 2010, 2:27 PM EST
UPDATE: One down, five to go, as Shawn Marcum signs, avoiding arbitration. The deal is for $850,000, which ain’t bad for your top starter. Now, whether having Shawn Marcum as your top starter is another question . . .
1:25 P.M.: Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star reports that
I suppose that means he’s a tough guy. Of course it’s easy to be tough when your arbitration eligible players are Shaun Marcum (hurt all last season), Brian Tallet (generic swingman), Casey Janssen (hurt in 2008 and ineffective last year), Shawn Camp (useful, but not expensive or unique) and Jeremy Accardo (up and down between the minors and the big club). The only interesting case is Jason Frasor who is a nice player to have and arguably made real money last year ($1.45 million), but it’s not as though an arbitration loss there will break the bank.
People talk about the arbitration process being skewed in favor of the players or in favor of the owners all the time, but ultimately it’s skewed in favor of the side with the better case. This year the Blue Jays have a lot of good cases. Why not roll the dice?
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 37
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 43
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)