The Yankees are selling more of their old junk than the Mets are

Jan 18, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT

The Mets are selling old Shea Stadium seats for $869. The Yankees are selling old Yankee Stadium seats* for $1,499.  Despite this, the Yankees have outsold the Mets 15,000 to 10,311

I’d be curious to hear New Yorkers’ take on the subject, but given that the Yankee Stadium seats only date back to the mid-70s
renovation at the oldest, this can’t be a matter of some overwhelmingly
disparate historical relevance of the given seats.  On a gut level this just seems about right in terms of weighted fandom.

1. Howell - Jan 18, 2010 at 9:47 AM

You might be giving some fans more credit for remembering the re-model then they deserve. I wouldn’t be shocked if some people think those are the same seats that have always been there. I mean it isn’t like Yankees fans are smart (I kid I kid).

2. Mickey - Jan 18, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Comparing anything between the Yanks & Mets is like comparing Pam Anderson to Rosie O’Donnell – why waste the print

3. willmose - Jan 18, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Should it be that Yankee Stadium seats have witnessed a few more good teams and World Championships? Nah, can’t be that. If the Royals sold their old seats, I sure they would sell better than the Yankees.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 18, 2010 at 10:04 AM

You seen Pam these days? I wouldn’t put anything I wanted back near that.
    But I guess the analogy applies here: like the Mets and Yankees, they’re both things you don’t want any part of, even if it’s for different reasons.

5. -Z- - Jan 18, 2010 at 10:07 AM

You’re absolutely right about the fans here in New York. Most think that stadium was “The House that Ruth Built” rather than a ground up remodel from the 70s. Shea was older by 10 years but the Yanks are the past masters of merchandizing. Mets fans should be snapping up the Shea artifacts because it’s the only stadium in New York that had, or has anything to do with the Mets.

6. RobRob - Jan 18, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Don’t forget that this isn’t the Yankees’ junk. This junk belongs to the City of New York.

7. YankeesfanLen - Jan 18, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I don’t feel snarky enough to answer this on a Monday morning. As the magic 8-ball says “ask again later”.

8. Eli - Jan 18, 2010 at 10:52 AM

A good microcosm for the earning potential of the Yankees vs. everyone else. I’d put the Mets as one of the top 4 teams for earning potential along with the Red Sox and Dodgers. Yet the Yanks can pull in 22.5 million for memorabilia to the Mets almost 9. Even if your new stadium does cost a billion dollars getting tens of millions back for pieces of the old stadium helps.

9. Glenn Rock - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Hello, I found your blog in a new directory of blogs. I dont know how your blog came up, must have

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (4054)