Jan 18, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Jonah Keri speculates that when the labor deal is revisited after the 2011 season the owners may offer up a 26th roster spot to the union in exchange for one thing or another. Seems totally plausible to me.
He also assumes that rather than do something useful such as add a position player and increase platoon usage, most managers will add a 13th or 14th pitcher to the roster. Also seems totally plausible to me.
If there was any justice in the universe, Bud Selig’s little competition committee would propose that teams (a) be limited to 11 pitchers on the roster at any given time; but (b) be given greater flexibility to shuttle pitchers up and down from the minors to deal with fatigue and injuries and stuff. That way you would be able to enhance the game by increasing the possibility of more creative deployment of position players while not unduly taxing precious arms.
But then I remember that Tony La Russa is member of that committee and that we’ll all be lucky to escape this thing without there being a new rule mandating two pitching changes per inning.
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 4
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 9
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 63
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 27
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 55
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)