Jan 19, 2010, 3:14 PM EST
We’re getting some partial scouting reports from Ben Sheets workout down in Louisiana today, courtesy of a series of tweets from Trenni Kusnierek of the MLB Network.
The summary: there were about 20 scouts watching Sheets. He started a bit erratically, hitting 88-90 on the gun and sometimes missing his spots, but then got comfortable and started humming it in more consistently, topping out at 91. After a second round including some breaking pitches, a scout told Kusnierek that Sheets looked good: “Good mechanics. Great shape. Is way ahead of where he’d be velocity wise at [the beginning of a] normal spring.”
That sound you hear is about a half dozen teams calling Sheets’ agent offering him something like $8 million plus incentives or options or whatever.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 10
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 50
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 34
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)