Jan 19, 2010, 3:14 PM EDT
We’re getting some partial scouting reports from Ben Sheets workout down in Louisiana today, courtesy of a series of tweets from Trenni Kusnierek of the MLB Network.
The summary: there were about 20 scouts watching Sheets. He started a bit erratically, hitting 88-90 on the gun and sometimes missing his spots, but then got comfortable and started humming it in more consistently, topping out at 91. After a second round including some breaking pitches, a scout told Kusnierek that Sheets looked good: “Good mechanics. Great shape. Is way ahead of where he’d be velocity wise at [the beginning of a] normal spring.”
That sound you hear is about a half dozen teams calling Sheets’ agent offering him something like $8 million plus incentives or options or whatever.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)