Damon, Yankees still a match

Jan 19, 2010, 5:47 PM EDT

As we covered yesterday, there are more outfielders available than jobs open at the moment. The odds of anyone stepping up and offering Johnny Damon the two-year, $20 million+ deal he expected at the beginning of the offseason fall somewhere in between slim and none. Cincinnati is the one team that has an obvious need for him in left field and at the top of the order, but there’s nothing to suggest that the Reds will bid. The Braves and Giants have alternatives and are short of cash. If there’s going to be a race for Damon’s services at any point over the next month, it seems likely to come down to the Yankees and Tigers.
The Tigers, though, have plenty of options. Carlos Guillen and Ryan Raburn are both available to play left field, so while Detroit wants a bat, a pure DH might work out just fine. Jim Thome could put about as many runs on the board as Damon and would come quite a bit cheaper.
On the other hand, the Yankees are pretty much down to one option if they want to further improve their team before Opening Day. They don’t need Damon — they’d surely score tons of runs without him — but he was a key piece in the 2009 World Series victory and it’s hard to believe that the team doesn’t have $6 million-$7 million laying around to throw at him. Damon is surely worth that much more than a possible Brett Gardner-Jamie Hoffman platoon, even if he would be a downgrade defensively.
It probably won’t happen this week or even before the end of the month, but Damon back to the Bronx is still the most likely scenario out there. Nothing else is even close.

1. YankeesfanLen - Jan 19, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Cashman has the need to trump Boras once in a while, it’s unfortunate that Damon is the one left out to dry.
    If nothing else, Johnny second in the batting order has proven very effective in keeping Derek out of double plays.
    Bring him back!

2. KCgator135 - Jan 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Once again, Scott Boras shows his greed to the detriment of an outstanding member of the Yakee family. Johnny has given everything to the team, and like A-Rod he could do better talking to Brian Cashman himself than having Mr. Greed do the talking for him.

3. DamonSense - Jan 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Sign Damon for 1 year $6-7M and deal with defensive weakness – Gardener or Hoffman OK back-ups. Sign Crawford for long-term LF when available. Next year Damon and Johnson will be history – or keep best bat for a needed DH. My guess is Damon would like to finish career in Pin-Strips.

4. Don - Jan 19, 2010 at 7:56 PM

I like Damon and hope he comes back but as some writer wrote a month or so ago. Be sure that whatever sub-market salary you sign him for is still enough to keep him motivated. Last year he played through a lot of aches and pains that this year may find him on the bench or DL. To put it another way, buyer beware.

5. AJ Gallo - Jan 19, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I agree. It would seem the Yanks would probably stretch an offer to him for 2 years, but no more. That’s a big come down for him from his original demand of 4 years. Plus, his getting somewhere between $5 – $8 per for two years is also a big come down from Boras’ orginial demand of $12 million. Boras’ demands have screwed more than just a few players in the past and it looks like we’ll be able to add Damon’s name to that list. By the way, does the “KC” stand for Kansas City? Just asking because I’m located right outside KC.

6. basedrum777 - Jan 19, 2010 at 8:26 PM

This is primarily why he should’ve accepted the Yankees initial offer for 2 years $18 or $20m a year. He fits. I still think he’ll be back.

7. AJ Gallo - Jan 19, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I may be mistaken, but I don’t think the Yankees’ original offer was for $18 – $20 million per year. I think that total was for two years. But your point is well taken in that Damon does fit with the Yanks and I, too, think that when all is said and done, he’ll return to the Yanks, albeit for substantially less.

8. basedrum777 - Jan 19, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I’m sorry that was a mistype. I think they’ll settle on that same amount (18-20 total) eventually.

9. PabloP - Jan 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I would like to see Damon come back. But he still plays hard to get, Cashman needs to take the offer over to Xavier Nady, who is still looking for a gig, and see if he would be willing to prove himself for one year. Then switch Nick Swisher to LF so that Xavier can play his natural RF position.

10. george jung - Jan 19, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I agree they should sign Damon who was a key player for them for years and contributed to some of those walk off wins in 2009.
    In my opinion, If they can give Haiti $500.000 they can dig up enough to sign him right away. Let me know what you think out there.
    George Jung

11. Mr. Comptroller Man - Jan 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM

“Let me know what you think out there.”
    How on earth does the money for Haiti have anything to do with the money for Damon? The Yankees could “dig up” a jillion dollars for Damon, if they wanted to. Maybe they just don’t want to.

12. Jim - Jan 20, 2010 at 12:21 AM

agree

13. DaJokker - Jan 20, 2010 at 12:51 AM

It boils down to this…. All sport teams should refuse to deal with any player associated with Scott Boras. He should be banned from Professonal Sports….

14. Todd P - Jan 20, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Cashmen and Boras are playing their own little game with Damon in the middle. Every year some player from the Yanks seems to get in the mix, whether it be Pettite, A-Rod and now Damon…Two things will happen, 1. Damon will sign for significantly less than he and BorASS is aksing or they 2. They don’t sign Damon and leave Gardner in left until June when Crawford may become available. All of sudden if that happens you will see Goerge’s wallet open up bigtime….

15. mandy - Jan 20, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Who cares!!! My boyfriend thinks the same with me. He is eight years older than me, lol. We met online at __Agemingle.com__ a nice and free place for Younger Women and Older Men, or Mature Women and Younger Men, to interact with each other. Maybe you wanna check out

16. Yankees 2009 Champions!!! - Jan 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM

The offer was 2 years for 14 with the feeling that he would turn it down and the Yankees would counter with 2 years at $20 million. Boras is a moron and played himself once again like a fool. Damon needs to pick up the phone and call Hank or Hal and tell them he made a mistake. Then the Yankees can give him $7 million for one year and be done with it.

17. YANKEES1996 - Jan 20, 2010 at 1:45 PM

The Yankees giving Damon $5 to $7 million for one season could happen and would be an o.k. deal for them. Johnny Damon still has good power, especially at Yankee Stadium and him and Jeter at the top of the order is a good combination. I think that Boras has been unwilling to talk about a one year deal and that has hurt Damon and not just with the Yanks. I hope the Yankees and Damon can work it out, I think he wants to retire a Yankee.

18. DaJokker - Jan 21, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Players & Owners SHowed Smarten up…. Work out their own deal & problem together without the Borass’ agents.. The Players are smart now-a-days .. They know what they want & know how to speak & represent themselves.. Time to Change the system…” WE Learn As We Go”

19. DaJokker - Jan 21, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Sorry …. ” That was Should smarten up”

20. DaJokker - Jan 23, 2010 at 1:48 AM

Thanks so much… Everyone has a right to express their opinion.. I really Think Damon is a great contributor & player & hope he comes back to the Yankees for the best 1 – 2 punch in baseball…behind Jeter… All I can say at this point is ” Wake up Johnny ” call Cashman yourself & come Home & RETIRE A YANKEE.

21. printed t shirt - Feb 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I’m a little ticked about the outcome of last night’s Super Bowl what do you guys think who should’ve won the colts! or the Saints?

22. Tyson F. Gautreaux - Feb 15, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I think your blog is great. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Found it on Google though. I love the suggestions and just trying to wrap my head around it, it’s mind boggling. Thanks

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB