Diving into the depths: Atlanta Braves

Jan 19, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT

This is part of a 30-article series looking at each team’s depth chart headed into spring training.
Atlanta Braves
Rotation
1. Tim Hudson
2. Jair Jurrjens
3. Derek Lowe
4. Tommy Hanson
5. Kenshin Kawakami
6. Jo-Jo Reyes
7. Kris Medlen
8. James Parr
9. Todd Redmond
10. Kyle Cofield
The Braves had one starter too many before the Javier Vazquez deal, but now they’re lacking in depth in case injuries strike. That will especially be the case if Reyes, who is out of options, fails to make the team this spring. Medlen would do well if needed, but he’ll be awfully valuable in the pen, too, and there’s not anyone trustworthy behind him.
Bullpen
10. Luis Valdez
11. Scott Proctor
12. Juan Abreu
13. Craig Kimbrel
14. Stephen Marek
15. Mariano Gomez
The top five are locks and then the next four figure to compete for two spots during spring training. Proctor underwent Tommy John surgery in May, so he’ll be behind at the start of the year. Ideally, Kimbrel would come up and make an impact in the second half.

Catcher
5. Eric Hinske
Shortstop
1. Yunel Escobar
2. Diory Hernandez
3. Brooks Conrad
4. Brandon Hicks
I like the Glaus signing for first base, and Hinske is a nice fallback in case he gets hurt. If Glaus does spend some time on the disabled list, what the Braves will likely do is use Hinske against righties and Prado against lefties, with Infante filling in at second base.
Left field
Right field
1. Melky Cabrera
2. Jason Heyward
3. Eric Hinske
4. Mitch Jones
5. Brent Clevlen
The big decision here is whether or not to have Heyward open the season in right field. Ideally, the Braves would be able to send him to Triple-A for two months, just like they did Hanson last season. However, it would leave them without a lot of punch in the outfield. My guess is that they do it anyway, but it will probably come down to how Heyward performs in spring training.

1. carlos - Jan 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM

when you lay it all out like this, it makes the bravos seen awful thin in the ranks. The loss of Javier is a big blow to the rotation, but one that was expected. I see KK and Medlen taking turns in the five spot cause neither will be able to hold it down all season.

2. mandy - Jan 20, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Who cares!!! My boyfriend thinks the same with me. He is eight years older than me, lol. We met online at __Agemingle.com__ a nice and free place for Younger Women and Older Men, or Mature Women and Younger Men, to interact with each other. Maybe you wanna check out

3. Old Gator - Jan 20, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I know a guy who was mauled by a cougar while hiking. Sorry, that ain’t gonna be me next time.

4. The Common Man - Jan 20, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Mandy makes a good point. It really puts the May-December romance that is Chipper Jones and Bobby Cox in perspective. Thanks, Mandy. LOL indeed.

5. dive torch - Jan 28, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Fantastic work. You have gained a new fan. I hope you keep up the good work and I eagerly await more of the interesting posts. may I use a link to this blog in my site please?

6. divers torch - Jan 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Excellent work. You have gained a new reader. Please keep up the good work and I await more of your interesting posts. may I place a link to this article on my site please?

7. Angelena Lapar - Feb 8, 2010 at 12:50 AM

:O So mush Info :O … THis Is just A vERy Virtually Astonishing SIte DUDe… :D

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4827)