Jan 19, 2010, 8:57 PM EDT
Philadelphia Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins received quite a scare in preparation for his upcoming wedding in Cayman Islands when an earthquake struck the Caribbean territory on Tuesday morning.
Rollins, who was at the Grand Cayman Beach for his upcoming wedding to Jahori Smith, sent a message to teammates saying he was ok. Several teammates are expected to attend the wedding scheduled for Saturday, but they reportedly have not yet arrived.
The quake, which measured 5.8 on the Richter scale, lasted about 10 seconds and forced everyone out on to the beach.
Having been through a scary earthquake myself, and with the Haiti disaster in mind, I can see how frightening this must have been. Here’s hoping everyone is OK.
And also, regarding Haiti, give money, people. They need it.
(Thanks to The Fightins)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 76
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 23
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Indians place starter Carlos Carrasco on 15-day disabled list with right shoulder discomfort 1
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)