Jan 19, 2010, 8:57 PM EST
Philadelphia Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins received quite a scare in preparation for his upcoming wedding in Cayman Islands when an earthquake struck the Caribbean territory on Tuesday morning.
Rollins, who was at the Grand Cayman Beach for his upcoming wedding to Jahori Smith, sent a message to teammates saying he was ok. Several teammates are expected to attend the wedding scheduled for Saturday, but they reportedly have not yet arrived.
The quake, which measured 5.8 on the Richter scale, lasted about 10 seconds and forced everyone out on to the beach.
Having been through a scary earthquake myself, and with the Haiti disaster in mind, I can see how frightening this must have been. Here’s hoping everyone is OK.
And also, regarding Haiti, give money, people. They need it.
(Thanks to The Fightins)
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 0
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 33
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 4
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 29
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (134)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)