Jan 19, 2010, 8:57 PM EDT
Philadelphia Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins received quite a scare in preparation for his upcoming wedding in Cayman Islands when an earthquake struck the Caribbean territory on Tuesday morning.
Rollins, who was at the Grand Cayman Beach for his upcoming wedding to Jahori Smith, sent a message to teammates saying he was ok. Several teammates are expected to attend the wedding scheduled for Saturday, but they reportedly have not yet arrived.
The quake, which measured 5.8 on the Richter scale, lasted about 10 seconds and forced everyone out on to the beach.
Having been through a scary earthquake myself, and with the Haiti disaster in mind, I can see how frightening this must have been. Here’s hoping everyone is OK.
And also, regarding Haiti, give money, people. They need it.
(Thanks to The Fightins)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)