Earthquake shakes up Rollins' wedding prep

Jan 19, 2010, 8:57 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins received quite a scare in preparation for his upcoming wedding in Cayman Islands when an earthquake struck the Caribbean territory on Tuesday morning.

From CBS3.com:

Rollins, who was at the Grand Cayman Beach for his upcoming wedding to Jahori Smith, sent a message to teammates saying he was ok. Several teammates are expected to attend the wedding scheduled for Saturday, but they reportedly have not yet arrived.

The quake, which measured 5.8 on the Richter scale, lasted about 10 seconds and forced everyone out on to the beach.

Having been through a scary earthquake myself, and with the Haiti disaster in mind, I can see how frightening this must have been. Here’s hoping everyone is OK.

And also, regarding Haiti, give money, people. They need it.

(Thanks to The Fightins)

1. Union - Jan 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Living in Northern Cali, I’ve been thru many a earthquakes most recently we had a 6.5 about 20 miles from here. A 5.8 magnitude though is pretty minor and really not news worthy at all.

2. Old Gator - Jan 20, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Jimmy, that was an omen. Take it from one who knows. Don’t go through with this. There’s a lot of strange left to go out there, and you can get yourself a German shorthaired pointer for loving companionship. And anyway, you’re a professional athelete. What would you talk about afterwards anyway?

3. dwarde1937 - Jan 20, 2010 at 6:19 PM

JIMMY..BEST WISHES IN YOUR UPCOMING MARRIAGE..BELIEVE ME,WITH THE RIGHT WOMAN,LIFE WILL BE SUPER FROM THEN ON.JUST REMEMBER,IT IS A 50/50 GIVE-TAKE PROPOSITION.TAKE IT FROM A 52+ YRS VETERAN.GOD BLESS THIS UNION..EW/JPW PA.

4. Sharon - Jan 22, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I wish you the best of luck,love and happiness
    I go to ALS all the time and Jimmy you are avery nice man.
    so this the next wedding,kids
    a hole family of your own!

5. Sharon - Jan 22, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Hey yo.. what happen??
    God bless you and yours….{new wife sounds nice!}
    look forward to see you at the ASL and play great ball again like you always do …get your team fired up about this years it’s your year!!
    so be safe over there…may God Bless you and all the people in the World!!

6. Sharon - Jan 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Hey….
    I was writting you…lol
    we love you Jimmy Rollins!!
    LOL..I feel like we are family but I didnt get the Invite for your big day!!
    anyways love and peace..4 ALL!!
    Sharon from Philly

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5580)