Jan 19, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
The Mets have played Paul McCartney to Bengie Molina’s Jane Asher all offseason. It made so much sense. You just knew they were gonna be together. Then one day — bammo — Molina comes back from performing in a play at the Old Vic, finds the Mets in bed with someone else, and the Mets get suck with the catching equivalent of Linda Eastman, the strains of “For No One” still echoing in their ears.
Translation for people under 60: Molina has turned down the Mets’ latest offer for some reason — I’m assuming it was over years, not dollars — and now it looks as though no deal is going to happen. Olney thinks the Mariners will be a good fit. He also thinks that the Mets may turn their attention to adding a pitcher such as Joel Piniero. The Post mentions Ben Sheets. In my mind either of them will be money better spent than money spent on Molina.
Yeah, you gotta have a catcher or else there will be a bunch of passed balls, but there’s no rule that says you have to give multiple years and millions of dollars to a guy whose OBP will be lower than his weight next year.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)