Jan 19, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
The Mets have played Paul McCartney to Bengie Molina’s Jane Asher all offseason. It made so much sense. You just knew they were gonna be together. Then one day — bammo — Molina comes back from performing in a play at the Old Vic, finds the Mets in bed with someone else, and the Mets get suck with the catching equivalent of Linda Eastman, the strains of “For No One” still echoing in their ears.
Translation for people under 60: Molina has turned down the Mets’ latest offer for some reason — I’m assuming it was over years, not dollars — and now it looks as though no deal is going to happen. Olney thinks the Mariners will be a good fit. He also thinks that the Mets may turn their attention to adding a pitcher such as Joel Piniero. The Post mentions Ben Sheets. In my mind either of them will be money better spent than money spent on Molina.
Yeah, you gotta have a catcher or else there will be a bunch of passed balls, but there’s no rule that says you have to give multiple years and millions of dollars to a guy whose OBP will be lower than his weight next year.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 103
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)