Jan 19, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
The Mets have played Paul McCartney to Bengie Molina’s Jane Asher all offseason. It made so much sense. You just knew they were gonna be together. Then one day — bammo — Molina comes back from performing in a play at the Old Vic, finds the Mets in bed with someone else, and the Mets get suck with the catching equivalent of Linda Eastman, the strains of “For No One” still echoing in their ears.
Translation for people under 60: Molina has turned down the Mets’ latest offer for some reason — I’m assuming it was over years, not dollars — and now it looks as though no deal is going to happen. Olney thinks the Mariners will be a good fit. He also thinks that the Mets may turn their attention to adding a pitcher such as Joel Piniero. The Post mentions Ben Sheets. In my mind either of them will be money better spent than money spent on Molina.
Yeah, you gotta have a catcher or else there will be a bunch of passed balls, but there’s no rule that says you have to give multiple years and millions of dollars to a guy whose OBP will be lower than his weight next year.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)