Jan 19, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
The Mets have played Paul McCartney to Bengie Molina’s Jane Asher all offseason. It made so much sense. You just knew they were gonna be together. Then one day — bammo — Molina comes back from performing in a play at the Old Vic, finds the Mets in bed with someone else, and the Mets get suck with the catching equivalent of Linda Eastman, the strains of “For No One” still echoing in their ears.
Translation for people under 60: Molina has turned down the Mets’ latest offer for some reason — I’m assuming it was over years, not dollars — and now it looks as though no deal is going to happen. Olney thinks the Mariners will be a good fit. He also thinks that the Mets may turn their attention to adding a pitcher such as Joel Piniero. The Post mentions Ben Sheets. In my mind either of them will be money better spent than money spent on Molina.
Yeah, you gotta have a catcher or else there will be a bunch of passed balls, but there’s no rule that says you have to give multiple years and millions of dollars to a guy whose OBP will be lower than his weight next year.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (80)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (73)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (71)