Mets, Molina may be going their separate ways

Jan 19, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT

Bengie Molina headshot.jpgThe Mets have played Paul McCartney to Bengie Molina’s Jane Asher all offseason.  It made so much sense. You just knew they were gonna be together. Then one day — bammo — Molina comes back from performing in a play at the Old Vic, finds the Mets in bed with someone else, and the Mets get suck with the catching equivalent of Linda Eastman, the strains of “For No One” still echoing in their ears.

Translation for people under 60:  Molina has turned down the Mets’ latest offer for some reason — I’m assuming it was over years, not dollars — and now it looks as though no deal is going to happen.  Olney thinks the Mariners will be a good fit.  He also thinks that the Mets may turn their attention to adding a pitcher such as Joel Piniero.  The Post mentions Ben Sheets.  In my mind either of them will be money better spent than money spent on Molina.

Yeah, you gotta have a catcher or else there will be a bunch of passed balls, but there’s no rule that says you have to give multiple years and millions of dollars to a guy whose OBP will be lower than his weight next year.

1. Old gator - Jan 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Uh huh. And listen to this: I just took that relict vinyl 45 rpm version of “Meet the Mets” and played it backwards on my equally relict Blaupunkt turntable with the RCA Dalmation’s urine stains still visible on the carpet directly beneath it. You know what it said? “Thuuuhhh Bannnnjeee Muhleeeeennnnaaa deeeeel iiiisssss dayyyyyed.”
    Now to analyze Bengie’s Topps card.

2. Chuck - Jan 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I’m having a difficult time seeing how the Mariners would be a good fit. What value there is in Molina’s offensive game is derived from his power, which Safeco would dampen. His hitting profile would seem to play better in a homerun park.

3. john pileggi - Jan 19, 2010 at 2:43 PM

If the dollars can be spent on pitching, then it is a good move to pass Molina. Santos is okay for now, they have a young man at AAA who may be there soon, or they can use one of the additions they signed in the off season.

4. Holla(r) - Jan 19, 2010 at 3:14 PM

If the money in question is legal tender, it is a good move to pass on signing Molina. If he’ll sign for Monopoly money, then go to it.

5. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 19, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Maybe the mets can get a catcher / medical advisor
    and save some money and face.

6. ThatRogue - Jan 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Why don’t the Mets sign Barajas. Similar power as Molina…and the defense is not all that different now (perhaps when they were younger, but Molina is not as good as he once was).

7. APBA Guy - Jan 19, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Look, Linda Eastman wasn’t that bad, and it’s not like Jane Asher was the hottest thing in London in 1965. The Stones had the best chicks anyway: Marianne Faithfull and Anita Pallenberg were way hotter.

8. Issac Maez - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Oh my god you’ll not belief that. This mindless cat just farted on my arm!? I mean what’s the problem with that!? I give food to this thing and I end up with this in return. I still can not really belief this. After all, you have got several important information there in your article. I knew Google could take me to a few helpful stuff today :) . Ok must hunt that creature now! Have a good evening you all!

9. online stock trading - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Hey, great blog…but I don’t understand how to add your site in my rss reader. Can you Help me, please :)

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act