Jan 19, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
The Mets have played Paul McCartney to Bengie Molina’s Jane Asher all offseason. It made so much sense. You just knew they were gonna be together. Then one day — bammo — Molina comes back from performing in a play at the Old Vic, finds the Mets in bed with someone else, and the Mets get suck with the catching equivalent of Linda Eastman, the strains of “For No One” still echoing in their ears.
Translation for people under 60: Molina has turned down the Mets’ latest offer for some reason — I’m assuming it was over years, not dollars — and now it looks as though no deal is going to happen. Olney thinks the Mariners will be a good fit. He also thinks that the Mets may turn their attention to adding a pitcher such as Joel Piniero. The Post mentions Ben Sheets. In my mind either of them will be money better spent than money spent on Molina.
Yeah, you gotta have a catcher or else there will be a bunch of passed balls, but there’s no rule that says you have to give multiple years and millions of dollars to a guy whose OBP will be lower than his weight next year.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)