Phillies manager Charlie Manuel sheds 56 pounds

Jan 19, 2010, 12:46 PM EST

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel told NBCPhiladelphia.com that he’s lost 56 pounds since signing a deal to do advertisements for Nutrisystem.
He’s never going to be svelte, but the 65-year-old Type 2 diabetic has gone from 286 pounds to 230 pounds in less than a year, and as you can see from the photo there’s definitely a noticeable difference.
Asked about the Nutrisystem meal plan, Manuel responded with a quote that probably won’t be used in the commercials: “Some of them are actually pretty good.”
As a longtime fatso myself I commend Manuel for dropping so much weight, because if I’m having trouble doing it at age 27 it must have been incredible tough at age 65. On the other hand I will miss his gut leading the way out to the mound for pitching changes.
Can’t wait until Nutrisystem starts their bloggers ad campaign. Weight loss has never been so sexy.
Click here to contact Aaron Gleeman or follow him on Twitter.

1. Jonny5 - Jan 19, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Holy crap!!! He looks lke charlies kid now!!! I give it 5 minutes before old gator has a horsemeat and wiz sandwich comment……. Maybe he’s juiced too???? LOL!!

2. tadthebad - Jan 19, 2010 at 1:00 PM

27? Is that in dog years?

3. Tiger Woods - Jan 19, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I agree he LQQKS SEXXY……. do you have his telephone number?

4. Old Gator - Jan 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I lost 125 pounds of ugly sinews and muscle in fifteen minutes. That’s all it took for the judge to grant my divorce.
    Now, a true story: over the past 18 months or so I have lost nearly 100 pounds through a combination of diet, exercise, yoga (with my favorite fantasy Namaste Yoga girls on TitTV – er, FitTV) and weight training (under the aegis of a beautiful redhead personal trainer – one takes one’s incentives where one can find them). Fortunately, living here in sunny Macondo (except the last two weeks), I can walk out of my bedroom and jump into my pool of a sultry evening and swim 100 laps or so at a lazy pace every other night as well and watch the vampire bats chase the winged cows across the sky. Or at least that’s what I think they are – I don’t wear my glasses in the pool. Anyway, I augmented my regimen with Hoodia and chromium tablets to kill my appetite between meals, a good strong colon cleanser, and by drinking more water than the divine Jane Badler’s mothership in V. I cut salt out of my diet entirely, immediately unemploying about a dozen Russian political prisoners, and found all kinds of ways to substitute great healthy meals for the shit I had been eating before. I was never crazy enough to eat those horrible horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches you referred to, but arepas with queso blanco, guyaba y queso pasteles and morcilla are out. Pizza? Heh, yeah, multigrain dough, sugar-free tomato sauce for a lycopene rush, and soy cheese – which is getting as indistinguishable from the real stuff as liberal idiocy from conservative idiocy. Turkey meatballs, turkey sausage and lots of green peppers, onions and mushrooms. A shpritz of crushed red pepper to remind me of where I come from. I’m a type 2 diabetic who saw my dosages of glipizide and metformin cut by 30% and expect further cuts. My cholesterol took a nosedive steeper than John Kennedy Jr.’s Saratoga, along with my blood pressure. I’ve still got a way to go but the worst is definitely behind me. I feel a million times better and my fantasies have gotten outrageous even by my own magic realist standards. The downside? I can’t get away with senior ticket prices at the movies anymore.
    Major weight loss and system recovery (pardon the cyberspeak) is eminently do-able even without factory meals, although for many I think that’s a terrific way to go if they can stick with it. I’m just afraid that when Charlie gets around those repulsive plaque-forming sandwiches again, he’s gonna tank.

5. Jonny5 - Jan 19, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I think that’s the first time I ever read a post from you and didn’t have to go on some sci fi google search to figure out what the heck you were talking about Gator. I’m just old enough to remember V. That was out right around the time everyone thought Beta tapes were the “new thing”. Anyway, due to my age i don’t have all the other issues you deal with in my blood, so when I want to lose weight, i simply skip dinner and eat some cereal instead for a month or two, it works like a dream, and if I really packed on my winter berries I may even do the PBJ for lunch every day for that duration. My mother in law is on the weight watchers, and she has been loosing weight at about 1 Lb per month. I think it’s because she defecates right before she gets weighed….. I don’t buy into it weight watchers or any of it myself, hell look at cristy alley, she’s up and down more than a hooker on a saturday night…….

6. Meli - Jan 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

awwww…. Good for Charlie. I love him….he’s like everyone Pop pop! He looks great!

7. Sharon - Jan 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

You LOOK GREAT. Stay healthy and happy!!!

8. Sharon - Jan 19, 2010 at 7:31 PM

You LOOK GREAT. Stay healthy and happy!!!

9. cathy - Jan 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM

WOW CHARLIE,
    YOU LOOK HOT. GOOD FOR YOU. KEEP UP THE WHAT EVER YOU ARE DOING!!! BEST TO YOU- I HAVE ALWAYS ADMIRED YOU.

10. Karen - Jan 22, 2010 at 10:24 AM

you look simply marvelous…we love ya!!!

11. calories negative - Jan 29, 2010 at 5:28 AM

Hey, found your site by accident doing a search on Google but I’ll definitely be coming back. As for your post… I agree with a lot of what you’re saying here but wouldn’t it be just as easy to move on? I mean why mess with your quality of life if you don’t have to?

12. negative calories food - Jan 29, 2010 at 5:45 AM

13. negative calorie food - Jan 29, 2010 at 5:46 AM

14. Weight Loss - Feb 3, 2010 at 5:13 AM

Brain cells come and go, but fat cells live forever – Oh I wish I were two stone lighter!

15. negative calorie foods - Feb 6, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Hey, found your site by accident doing a search on Ask but I’ll definitely be returning. As for your post… I certainly agree with a lot of what you’re talking about here but wouldn’t it be just as easy to let it go? I mean why mess around with your quality of life if you don’t have to?

16. Gayle Koller - Feb 7, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Join more than 5000 others like you who have already benefitted from the No cost Colon Cleanse Detox Newsletter and discover the truth about Colon Cleansing your method to better health.

17. Cardizem - Feb 13, 2010 at 6:53 AM

your site came up.

18. Cinda Baransky - Feb 25, 2010 at 3:04 AM

Lots of Good information in your blogpost, I bookmarked your blog post so I can visit again in the future, All the Best

19. acai berry where to buy it - Mar 2, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Very good post but difficult to understand cause I’m spanish speaker

20. where to buy acai berry pills - Mar 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Considerably, the article is in reality the freshest on this deserving topic. I agree with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your incoming updates. Saying thanks will not just be adequate, for the extraordinary clarity in your writing. I will at once grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Genuine work and much success in your business enterprise!

21. CowboyJohn-Brad - Mar 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Damn,Chuck looks great!I’m a Type Two Diabetic who,when diagnosed May 2003,shortly before my 50th birthday,weighed 256 lb.(I’m 5’9”.)
    As of today,Mar.24,2010,I tip the scales at 214 lb.,with a 200-lb. goal by my 57th birthday,July 6.(See my name,though a bit girthy,I’m built like a steer wrestler or “bull-dogger,”and can walk 10 miles in a shade under three hours.)
    Manuel,in addition to his diabetes,has survived two heart attacks,a
    coronary bypass procedure and the fickle Philly fans to become one of baseball’s best skippers,mixing his good ol’ boy “easy hand” with oc-
    casional toughness,benching Jimmy Rollins when he felt the great
    “J-Roll” was loafing to first on a couple of ground balls.
    Bravo,Chuckie!!!!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3297)
  2. J. Kang (3123)
  3. C. McGehee (2840)
  4. J. Upton (2821)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2814)
  1. D. Ross (2627)