Jan 19, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
With the deadline to submit figures for arbitration looming, the Rockies have agreed to multi-year deals with arbitration-eligible relievers Huston Street and Rafael Betancourt.
According to FOXSports.com’s Tracy Ringolsby, Betancourt will get $7.5 million over two years while Street’s deal is worth $22.5 million over three years with an option for 2013.
Colorado had previously declined a $5.4 million option on Betancourt for 2010, so $3.75 million per season represents a discount of sorts even if that’s still paying a premium for middle relief. Betancourt had a 2.73 ERA and 61/20 K/BB ratio in 56 innings split between Cleveland and Colorado last season, but struggled in 2008 and turns 35 years old soon.
Street likely would have been in line for around $7 million via arbitration and could have hit the open market following the season, so the Rockies essentially paid about $15 million for his first two seasons of free agency. That’s definitely pricey for a reliever, but Street is a 26-year-old with a 2.91 career ERA who saved 35 games with a 3.06 ERA, .194 opponents’ batting average, and 70/13 K/BB ratio during his first season in Colorado. He’s a legitimately elite reliever who’ll be just 29 when the contract ends.
Click here to contact Aaron Gleeman or follow him on Twitter.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)