Jan 19, 2010, 5:03 PM EDT
Heyman reports that Tim Lincecum has filed an arbitration request for $13 million and that the team’s number is $8 million. That seems like an unbelievable lowball offer by the Giants. I think Lincecum wins. Indeed, I’d say that Lincecum would win even if he asked for $18 million and probably should have asked for more.
And wouldn’t it be a pisser if the Giants, after lowballing him, spent a half hour in an arbitration hearing arguing over that $5 million difference, alienating Lincecum and ensuring that he’d never sign a long term deal with the team?
I suppose they’ll probably settle this somewhere in the middle, but if they don’t, I’m not sure anyone’s best interests were served with these particular numbers. Lincecum could have got more; the Giants should have offered more.
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 5
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 61
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 17
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 7
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 60
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- Remembering World Series Game 7s of the past 30 years 30
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (145)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)