Jan 19, 2010, 5:03 PM EDT
Heyman reports that Tim Lincecum has filed an arbitration request for $13 million and that the team’s number is $8 million. That seems like an unbelievable lowball offer by the Giants. I think Lincecum wins. Indeed, I’d say that Lincecum would win even if he asked for $18 million and probably should have asked for more.
And wouldn’t it be a pisser if the Giants, after lowballing him, spent a half hour in an arbitration hearing arguing over that $5 million difference, alienating Lincecum and ensuring that he’d never sign a long term deal with the team?
I suppose they’ll probably settle this somewhere in the middle, but if they don’t, I’m not sure anyone’s best interests were served with these particular numbers. Lincecum could have got more; the Giants should have offered more.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 0
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (102)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)