Your pre-arbitration filing deadline signing scoreboard, Part II

Jan 19, 2010, 1:22 PM EDT

More of the arbitration filing deadline insanity Part I is here (UPDATE: We now have a Part III too!).  All are one-year deals unless otherwise specified:

• Jeff Francoeur, Mets, $5 million.  I’d lay into the guy here, but at this point I’d be like ripping on that awful, horrible girl you used to date but dumped last year. It just says more about me than it does about him at this point.  Though, if you want to quote me as calling Francoeur an awful, horrible girl, I’m not going to stop you.
  • Huston Street, Rafael Betancourt, Rockies, $22.5 million over three years for Street, $7.55 million over two years for Betancourt. Colorado thinks that one-year deals are for suckers. Aaron is going to have more on the Street deal shortly.
  • J.J. Hardy, Twins, $5 million. I wish I got a raise after having a crappy year;
  • Ryan Ludwick, Cardinals, $5.45 million. Ditto;
  • Josh Hamilton, Rangers, $3.25 million plus incentives tied to postseason awards. I’m assuming that that does not include awards bestowed by Deadspin;
  • Jason Bartlett, Rays, $4 million, coming off a really spiffy year. Word is that the Twins will give Tampa Bay back Delmon Young if they, you know, want a do-over;
  • Jorge Cantu, Leo Nunez, Marlins $6 million and $2 million, respectively. For all of the noise, there’s still nothing stopping the Feesh from trading Cantu. Or Nunez. Or Uggla. Or Johnson. If they’re not within striking distance of the Phillies come June they’ll unload and have a rebuilding argument that, while not really plausible, will be enough to make everyone just roll their eyes, forget going after them via a grievance and let the Marlins be the Marlins;
  • Carlos Gomez and Rickie Weeks, Brewers.  Weeks gets $2.75 million. We don’t know Gomez’s money.  He made $437,500 in 2009, which is better than you did;
  • George Sherrill, James Loney and Hong-Chih Kuo, Dodgers. Sherrill gets $4.5 million, Loney $3.1 million and Kuo $950,000. In addition, Jamie McCourt gets Tuesday visitation, every other weekend and alternating holidays;
  • Howie Kendrick, Angels, $1.75 million.  That’s a lot of money for a guy they won’t let hit against righties.
  • Rajai Davis, Athletics, $1.35 million. A good second half for Davis, though he can’t be too happy about Coco Crisp coming to town. There are a lot of random outfielders floating around between Oakland and Sacramento, and someone is gonna think they’re getting boned at some point.
  • Jonathan Sanchez, Giants, $2.1 million. There are incentives here too. If the Giants were bright they’d consider dealing him and his no-hitter juju to someone for some offensive help, but I don’t give Sabean that kind of credit for creativity.

I’m sure more deals will spill out throughout the afternoon. We may deploy our version of Danny Herrera for mopup duty on this stuff later today.

1. APBA Guy - Jan 19, 2010 at 1:39 PM

My girlfriend and I have this vision of the Sacramento Shuttle: it leaves leaves Sacramento at 3:00 pm daily to arrive in Oakland by 5:00 pm so game-day players can dress, get a snack, then take warm-ups. At 10:30 the players get back on the shuttle for Sacramento so they can take advantage of more affordable housing.
    The following morning a list goes up at River Cats stadium of those bound for Oakland on the 3:00 pm shuttle. There are usually 5-6 names on the list, sometimes more, sometimes less.
    The shuttle is a white minivan, with comfortable seats. There are no team markings on the van so that outraged Oakland fans don’t try something untoward, mistakenly thinking that one of the owners might be on board.

2. Kevin - Jan 19, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Glad to see the comment about the Marlins retaining the right to trade all their high priced (to them) talent. Paying homage to their wrist slapping and paying them ‘whatever’ takes the pressure off them now, and, as you reported, they will probably not hear too much grief come the end of July. You are the only one I am hearing give this slant.
    When the new stadium does open, I expect to hear them complain that they do not make THAT much more money from their new stadium….. because they only built it for 32,000. That will make them, by far, the smallest park in the majors… and provide them with more excuses.

3. Old Gator - Jan 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Were you aware that the largest garter snakes in the world come from the Sacramento area? Just wondering. It’s a great cocktail party fact.
    But don’t get too puffed up about it: the San Diego area produces more two-headed kingsnakes than anyplace else. You could look it up. Or you could do the lazy thing, call me full of shit, and force me to put up URLs and do your work for you. Frankly, in my mind, and even in the two or three rings of cosmic dust and detritus that orbit it, two headed kingsnakes trump your giant garter snakes any day.
    Now, as for the Feesh. It’s heartwarming to see how Craig falls in line and accepts my local expertise about the Feesh. That’s correct, Craig; there’s a classic rebuilding program in our future, because we already both know that the Feesh are not going to be anywhere near the Feelies by the summer solstice, traditionally (and probably not just coincidentally) the time when the Yucatan Toltecs conducted most of their ritual beheadings. I suspect that the fans of the ringball team at Chichen Itza probably hated their owners as well (Alberto Ruz Lhullier conclusively proved that “Kukulcan” means “Jeffrey Loria” in Old Quiche, and we already knew they had Chihuahuas). Loria probably still pines for the day when he could behead the untradeable guys who had crushed him in arbitration before the high priests the year before any time they lost a game.
    Now, you could fly down to Mexico City and see the styrofoam models of the great temple compounds, or maybe less expensively, sneak into the Marleens’ offices at Joepropdolsharlife Stadium some night disguised as a janitor and check out their evil plans for getting rid of all their expensive (relatively speaking) pre-arbitration players and replace them with a batch of EYPs. There are styrofoam models of these kids – the ones they’re not just growing for ethanol, anyway – locked in Loria’s money vault. He figures their pentacles will keep the evil spirits off his bills.

4. GBSimons - Jan 19, 2010 at 2:08 PM

“For all of the noise, there’s still nothing stopping the Feesh from trading Cantu. Or Nunez. Or Uggla. Or Johnson.” Actually, Kevin, that’s Old Gator’s slant.
    Craig, you’re starting to seem a bit like John Heyman to Old Gator’s Scott Boras.

5. Old Gator - Jan 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Yeah, and you know what? I checked out the five year plans for the Florida DOT on their web site, as well as on MDX (the Miami Dade Xpressway Authority – that’s what happens when you let a bunch of ESL kids choose your acrostics for you). There are no plans on the board for any widenings or improvements of the exit and entrance ramps on either I-95 or on SR 386, the so-called Dolfeen Expressway, which would be serving (if that’s the word) Macondo Banana Massacre Yanqui Imperialist Fruit Collective stadium. In other words, you’re right. These clowns aren’t kidding themselves about the predestined Lilliputian crowds. I suspect they’re even counting on the traffic fiasco that will result when the first gouts of the curious swarm to the stadium when it opens just for the novelty of the thing, and convince them not to come back.

6. Old Gator - Jan 19, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Go ahead, call me names, revile me with capitalist innuendos. But the fact is, I did a lot better by Cantu, Uggla, Johnson, Sanchez and even (may the Buddha help us) Pinto than Boras did by Johnny Damon. Not only did I get them moderate settlements, but I made them eminently affordable to teams with delusions of winning something this year, and all but guaranteed them a pass to a contender in some town where there success will net them endorsement money selling something more profitable than orange juice – even if we are growing most of them for ethanol these days.

7. Steve Braucksieker - Jan 19, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I hope Ryan Ludwick has another “crappy” year for the Cardinals, it will all but assure another Division title. He drove in 97 runs, sixth best by an outfielder in the NL, and he doesn’t even play everyday. He made 1 error, and had 9 assists. And he hits in the clutch. He hit 323 w/ runners in scoring position, and was voted player of the month in July, the month the Cardinals put distance between themselves and the rest of the NL Central. Sure I would like to see him back around .300 and 30 dingers, but “Crappy” his 2009 campaign was not!!!!!!

8. IdahoMariner - Jan 19, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Re: Jeff Francoeur being an awful, horrible girl.
    You have a daughter. Why would you be so mean to girls?

9. Mike Treder - Jan 19, 2010 at 3:46 PM

which is better than you did
    Maybe, but not by much. Only about a thousand percent.

10. San Jose Girl - Jan 23, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Hey, I just wanted to drop a note and say nice post!

11. Parker Calta - Feb 3, 2010 at 5:39 AM

Hello there, superb blog, I thouroughly enjoyed reading it. This article gave me the kick to attempt my own article, please check my article by clicking my name at the top of this article, cheers

12. Check this out - Feb 26, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Hey, great stuff you’re posting here. I enjoy reading the site.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5570)