Jan 19, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT
King Felix’s extension is obviously the biggest news in advance of today’s deadline for signing arbitration eligible players, and we’ll update that story with the details of the deal as they become available. We’ve also already filled you in on Dan Uggla, Jody Gerut and Shaun Marcum.
In the meantime, here’s a rundown of some of the more minor arbitration-avoidance signings that have been coming pretty fast and furious in the past 24 hours:
- Ryan Spilborghs, Rockies, $3.25 million with $1.15 million in incentives;
- Chad Gaudin and Boone Logan, Yankees, $2.95 million and $590,000, respectively. Their real payment, however, is going to come in the form of a lot of free beers for telling hilariously off color Derek Jeter stories no one has heard before;
- C.J. Wilson, Rangers, $3.1 million. Wilson is on the Twitter, you know. According to a tweet last night, he’s not going to use his new dough to by a car, though, because he’s “already rollin hard on a Vespa.”
- Chad Durbin, Phillies, $2.125 million;
- Jared Burton, Reds, no details on the money, so I assume they’re paying him in Gold Star Chili coupons and boxes of JTM burgers;
- Chad Qualls and Aaron Heilman, Diamondbacks, $4.185 million and $2.15 million, respectively. Pfun Pfact: if you took the money Heilman will make providing slightly above average relief pitching for the Dbacks and put it in a San Jose redevelopment municipal bond, you’d realize $129,000 in income this year!
- Anibal Sanchez and Renyel Pinto, Marlins, $1.25 million and $1.075 million, respectively. I had these guys as Mariners earlier, if that tells you how much mental energy I’m spending following this stuff.
- Tony Pena, White Sox, $1.2 million. No, he’s not the converted shortstop Pena.
We’ll do our best to update this list as the day goes on, but really, it’s a crazy day for these kinds of signings, so lay off if we miss some random 23-25th roster spot fodder, OK?
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)