And now some financial perspective

Jan 20, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT

As we’ve passed over several dozen million dollar contracts these past few days for players I’d wager a plurality of baseball fans have never even heard of, it’s probably worth remembering how the other half live:

Baseball’s minor leaguers are getting a small raise–in the form of meal
money. MLB team owners last week approved increasing minor leaguers’
per diem to $25 from $20.

Now, I’m not sayin’ a fella couldn’t go hog-wild at Taco Bell with that kind of scratch, but it does render the line between the bush leagues and the majors fairly stark, doesn’t it?

(thanks to Pete Toms for the link)

1. jonas - Jan 20, 2010 at 1:39 PM

here’s the reason why I don’t blame these guys for trying to get big money when they can. Getting treated like cattle for 5 years in the minors makes that dream of a payout all the more necessary if you’re lucky enough.

2. GimmeSomeSteel - Jan 20, 2010 at 1:52 PM

“The minor leagues are all very minor.”
    –Jim Bouton, “Ball Four”, 1970

3. Simon DelMonte - Jan 20, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I can’t imagine these guys eat that healthy. How is that a good way to develop talent?

4. Grant - Jan 20, 2010 at 2:07 PM

And then teams wonder why guys are in such bad shape coming out of the minors. 25 bucks a day on the road will barely feed me, and I live a sedentary lifestyle. These are big guys who need a lot of calories, and they’re probably getting most of them from fast food. Then suddenly Panda or Prince or whoever comes up all fat and with no idea how to eat right and teams have to teach them how. I realize you’ve got a lot of guys on the minor league rosters, but if I were a team I’d want to make nutrition (and adequate payment for nutritious meals) part of my organizational player-development philosophy.

I realize the bonus babies will still be OK if they want to, and that teams don’t really care about most of the humps down there. This throws that into stark relief.

5. APBA Guy - Jan 20, 2010 at 2:08 PM

That extra $ 5 will go a long way on top of the $ 100/week rookie league salary the non stars make. Reason #1 on “Why I took Steroids” in the minors.

6. Chuck - Jan 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM

“I can’t imagine these guys eat that healthy.”
    If these guys were getting $120 a day rather than $20, would that make any real difference in terms of the quality of food they would be eating? These are teenagers and men in their early 20’s. This is a burgers-and-fries crowd. Any unused money would presumably go for beer.
    I agree that they would be better served with a more healthy diet. But that would have to be foisted upon them. I can’t see too many of them actively chasing down such a diet on their own.

7. 2cents - Jan 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM

My menu ideas….
    Breakfast special at “Denny’s”…early bird special at “Furr’s” and then you get together with a buddy and go halvers on a pizza after the game. These guys get free sunflower seeds and candy bars don’t they? Jeezzze!

8. Old Gator - Jan 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Sounds like Bud Light took his kids to see The Road and his heart was touched. Frankly, though, I think that if prospects who never made it to the show didn’t bring such a good price when used for ethanol (the environmental lobby’s dirty little secret: ethanol, like Soylent Green, is people), he would have suggested that the guys heading up to the big leagues eat their less fortunate teammates, you know, like in praying mantis hatchout.

9. Charles Gates - Jan 20, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Old Gator, don’t be so swift to make such a modest proposal…

10. Phil - Jan 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM

MLB team owners last week approved increasing minor leaguers’ per diem to $25 from $20.
    You think things like this might make a guy seek a little “help” so he can start earning that big league minimum with all the perks?

11. The Pooka O. G. MacPhellimy - Jan 20, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I once broke me tooth biting into the attachment pin from a Mrs. Pitayter Head nose hidden in a french fry in a Dublin pub. But be that as it may, I have here a modest little anecdote I’d like to relate to ye. Y’see Clancey here works for Guinness and his harse has pulled up lame, so he can’t haul the kegs back to the spring for a refillin’ now. So he sees his neighbor Chauncey has a fine lookin roan in his paddock that he never seems t’ use. Well now Clancey he goes up to Chauncey’s cottage and he knocks on the door and out comes Chauncey, and he says “Well if it ain’t me old friend Clancey, who not come in for a pint o’ porter,” but Clancey he de-mures, you know, an’ he says Chauncey would ye be of a mind to sell me that fine lookin roan in yonder paddock? Me drey pulled up lame this marnin’ and ye never seem to use thet harse. Well Chauncey he gives Clancey this pensive look and he says Clancey, I would love to sell ye that harse but I don’t think ye’d like him very much.” And Clancey says “and why not, he’s sech a fine lookin’ harse,” but Chauncey says “well, he’s a bit, you know, idiosyn-cratic like.” And Clancey says “Idiosyncratic? Whatever can ye mean by that?” So Chauncey says “ye cain’t ride him in the heather. He like to sit on quail.” And Clancey says “He likes to sit on what???” “Yea, he likes to sit on quail, them littlebirds, ye know?” says Chauncey, “And if he comes across one in the heather he’ll sit down on’t and ye won’t get him back up for hours!” Well Clancey reflects on this a bit and he says “Look here now Chauncey, I’ve got meself in a fine bit o’ a pickle and I can’t afferd to be choosey here. Sell me the roan and I’ll jest keep him away from the heather.” So Chauncey says “alright now Clancey, I’ll sell him to ye for this here exorbitant fee, but I’m warnin’ ye: keep him out of the heather.” So Clancey is ridin’ this roan back to his barn and he comes to a little patch o’ heather, and he thinks, well, that Chauncey must be a bit crackbrained and all but there’s no harm in exercisin a bit o’ caution, is there?” And he starts to detourin’ around the heather and as they’re crossin this little stream, whumphf! the harse drops his big arse down in the water and dumps poor Clancey on ‘is haid on a rock in the water. Ah, but Clancey is fit to be tied, he’s wet and muddy an’ cut n’ bloody and he’s pullin’ hard on the reins and yellin “get up get up ye farkin stupid harse!” but the harse he just sets there and goes whufffflllllllthrrthrrthrr and shakes his big haid and Lord knows he won’t move. So Clancey he goes starmin’ back across the paddock an’ he’s poudin’ on Chauncey’s door, and Chauncey who is presently countin’ the shillins’ of which he has lately relieved Clancey gets up and goes to the dar and there he sees his neighbor all filthy and ragged and fit te be tied. And Chauncey cries “why Clancey, didn’t I tell ye to keep him away from the heather?” And Clancey he sputters, “but I did like ye say, but as we was crossing the bluddy stream up theres he sets down on his arse an dumps me in the bluddy farkin’ stream an’ now I can’t get ‘im to bluddy farkin’ budge!!” So Chauncey he just goes pale like this, ye see, an he just shakes his gray haid and puts his face in his hands an after a moment or two he looks up apologeti-cally like and he says “aw jayzis Clancey, how could I ferget to tell ye? He also likes t’ sit on feesh!”

12. Charles Gates - Jan 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM