Jan 20, 2010, 9:03 PM EDT
According to SI.com and various other sources, the Angels and Joel Pineiro have come to terms on a two-year, $16 million contract.
The signing settles as Angels rotation that lacked a fifth starter behind Jered Weaver, Joe Saunders, Scott Kazmir and Ervin Santana. Matt Palmer and Sean O’Sullivan were set to be the primary competitors for the spot. Now Palmer figures to pitch in middle reliever, while O’Sullivan will head the rotation at Triple-A Salt Lake.
Pineiro was also being sought after by the Dodgers and Mets. Those teams could now turn to the likes of Jarrod Washburn, Vicente Padilla and Jon Garland.
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 9
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 170
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (170)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)