Jan 20, 2010, 9:03 PM EDT
According to SI.com and various other sources, the Angels and Joel Pineiro have come to terms on a two-year, $16 million contract.
The signing settles as Angels rotation that lacked a fifth starter behind Jered Weaver, Joe Saunders, Scott Kazmir and Ervin Santana. Matt Palmer and Sean O’Sullivan were set to be the primary competitors for the spot. Now Palmer figures to pitch in middle reliever, while O’Sullivan will head the rotation at Triple-A Salt Lake.
Pineiro was also being sought after by the Dodgers and Mets. Those teams could now turn to the likes of Jarrod Washburn, Vicente Padilla and Jon Garland.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)