Jan 20, 2010, 9:03 PM EDT
According to SI.com and various other sources, the Angels and Joel Pineiro have come to terms on a two-year, $16 million contract.
The signing settles as Angels rotation that lacked a fifth starter behind Jered Weaver, Joe Saunders, Scott Kazmir and Ervin Santana. Matt Palmer and Sean O’Sullivan were set to be the primary competitors for the spot. Now Palmer figures to pitch in middle reliever, while O’Sullivan will head the rotation at Triple-A Salt Lake.
Pineiro was also being sought after by the Dodgers and Mets. Those teams could now turn to the likes of Jarrod Washburn, Vicente Padilla and Jon Garland.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)