Jan 20, 2010, 9:03 PM EDT
According to SI.com and various other sources, the Angels and Joel Pineiro have come to terms on a two-year, $16 million contract.
The signing settles as Angels rotation that lacked a fifth starter behind Jered Weaver, Joe Saunders, Scott Kazmir and Ervin Santana. Matt Palmer and Sean O’Sullivan were set to be the primary competitors for the spot. Now Palmer figures to pitch in middle reliever, while O’Sullivan will head the rotation at Triple-A Salt Lake.
Pineiro was also being sought after by the Dodgers and Mets. Those teams could now turn to the likes of Jarrod Washburn, Vicente Padilla and Jon Garland.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)