Jan 20, 2010, 9:03 PM EST
According to SI.com and various other sources, the Angels and Joel Pineiro have come to terms on a two-year, $16 million contract.
The signing settles as Angels rotation that lacked a fifth starter behind Jered Weaver, Joe Saunders, Scott Kazmir and Ervin Santana. Matt Palmer and Sean O’Sullivan were set to be the primary competitors for the spot. Now Palmer figures to pitch in middle reliever, while O’Sullivan will head the rotation at Triple-A Salt Lake.
Pineiro was also being sought after by the Dodgers and Mets. Those teams could now turn to the likes of Jarrod Washburn, Vicente Padilla and Jon Garland.
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 4
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 133
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 42
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 371
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (371)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (135)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (88)