Jan 20, 2010, 5:05 PM EST
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that the Brewers and left-hander Doug Davis have agreed to terms on a one-year, $5.25 million contract with an option for 2011.
The deal will pay Davis $4.25 million in 2010. The option for 2011 is worth $6.5 million and includes a $1 million buyout.
It will be Davis’ second stint in Milwaukee, as he went 37-36 with a 3.92 ERA for the team from 2003-06. He was 9-14 with a 4.12 ERA in 34 starts for the Diamondbacks last season. Exceptionally durable, he’s made at least 33 starts in five of the last six seasons, with his lone absence coming due to cancer in 2008 (he still made 26 starts anyway).
Davis would seem to become the third lock for the Milwaukee rotation, joining Randy Wolf and Yovani Gallardo. Manny Parra was supposed to be the favorite for the third spot, but now he’ll likely have to battle Jeff Suppan and David Bush for two places. Considering that Suppan will earn $12 million and Bush at least $4 million this year, Parra might find himself the odd man out.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)