Jan 20, 2010, 5:05 PM EDT
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that the Brewers and left-hander Doug Davis have agreed to terms on a one-year, $5.25 million contract with an option for 2011.
The deal will pay Davis $4.25 million in 2010. The option for 2011 is worth $6.5 million and includes a $1 million buyout.
It will be Davis’ second stint in Milwaukee, as he went 37-36 with a 3.92 ERA for the team from 2003-06. He was 9-14 with a 4.12 ERA in 34 starts for the Diamondbacks last season. Exceptionally durable, he’s made at least 33 starts in five of the last six seasons, with his lone absence coming due to cancer in 2008 (he still made 26 starts anyway).
Davis would seem to become the third lock for the Milwaukee rotation, joining Randy Wolf and Yovani Gallardo. Manny Parra was supposed to be the favorite for the third spot, but now he’ll likely have to battle Jeff Suppan and David Bush for two places. Considering that Suppan will earn $12 million and Bush at least $4 million this year, Parra might find himself the odd man out.
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 22
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (103)