Jan 20, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Via MetsBlog.com comes Jon Heyman talking on the MLB Network last night about Ben Sheets’ expectations. After suggesting that he’s going to see offers in the $7.5 million range — which sounds reasonable to me — Heyman says:
I have a feeling he is seeking more than that, though . . . the buzz
around Sheets, for a while now, has been, if he is healthy and
impressive, he will seek at least $10 million, plus lots of incentives, and a second-year, player-controlled option . . .
We heard that his workout went well yesterday, but I can’t imagine it went so well that teams are willing to give him $10 million plus player options. In fact, I think the option is more fantastical than the money. The biggest risk about Sheets is not his performance but his health. By giving him a player option you are essentially doubling that particular risk. After all, if he blows his elbow out again or something, he’s obviously going to exercise his option for a paid-rehab.
If any team does approach eight figures with Sheets, there would have to be some sort of creative injury clause and, if anything, an affordable team option that rewards the club for taking a chance on him in the first place.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 15
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 8
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)