Jan 20, 2010, 12:15 PM EST
Via MetsBlog.com comes Jon Heyman talking on the MLB Network last night about Ben Sheets’ expectations. After suggesting that he’s going to see offers in the $7.5 million range — which sounds reasonable to me — Heyman says:
I have a feeling he is seeking more than that, though . . . the buzz
around Sheets, for a while now, has been, if he is healthy and
impressive, he will seek at least $10 million, plus lots of incentives, and a second-year, player-controlled option . . .
We heard that his workout went well yesterday, but I can’t imagine it went so well that teams are willing to give him $10 million plus player options. In fact, I think the option is more fantastical than the money. The biggest risk about Sheets is not his performance but his health. By giving him a player option you are essentially doubling that particular risk. After all, if he blows his elbow out again or something, he’s obviously going to exercise his option for a paid-rehab.
If any team does approach eight figures with Sheets, there would have to be some sort of creative injury clause and, if anything, an affordable team option that rewards the club for taking a chance on him in the first place.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (92)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)