Does Ben Sheets expect $10 million+?

Jan 20, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT

Via MetsBlog.com comes Jon Heyman talking on the MLB Network last night about Ben Sheets’ expectations.  After suggesting that he’s going to see offers in the $7.5 million range — which sounds reasonable to me — Heyman says:

I have a feeling he is seeking more than that, though . . . the buzz
around Sheets, for a while now, has been, if he is healthy and
impressive, he will seek at least $10 million, plus lots of incentives, and a second-year, player-controlled option . . .

We heard that his workout went well yesterday, but I can’t imagine it went so well that teams are willing to give him $10 million plus player options. In fact, I think the option is more fantastical than the money. The biggest risk about Sheets is not his performance but his health. By giving him a player option you are essentially doubling that particular risk. After all, if he blows his elbow out again or something, he’s obviously going to exercise his option for a paid-rehab.

If any team does approach eight figures with Sheets, there would have to be some sort of    creative injury clause and, if anything, an affordable team option that rewards the club for taking a chance on him in the first place.

1. Jonny5 - Jan 20, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Hmmm? Ummm I think since he missed last season 10 Mill+ is a pipe dream no matter how he did in his “session”. Guys who are proven hard asses (eg.blanton)who had a slightly higher ERA for their career don’t think 10 mill is in their future. he’ll settle somewhere between 10 and 8 million imo (blanton). Sheets? I still say he has to prove he’ll last a season to get that money…. he should shoot lower and prove himself.

2. Skids - Jan 20, 2010 at 1:17 PM

“pipe dream.” Ah, jonny5, you forget, alot of these guys are a pipe dream.

3. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 20, 2010 at 1:26 PM

The Braves could swoop in and give him a Derek Lowe contract.
    You never know, it only takes one craZy General Manager.

4. APBA Guy - Jan 20, 2010 at 2:13 PM

“One crazy general manager” is exactly right. Is that Omar on the phone?
    Too bad Sheets isn’t 5 years older, then Sabean could get in on the bidding.
    I do expect an outrageous deal will be executed for Sheets. Most of the rookie league guys top out at 91, but I think the scouts feel Sheets at 91 a few months after surgery means Sheets at 95 in June, if he can remain on the mound and not in the emergency room.

5. adam - Jan 20, 2010 at 3:12 PM

really? joe blanton submitted an arbitration number of 10.25 million. that’s before he even hits free agency. if given the choice of joe blanton or ben sheets i’ll take sheets every day of the week and twice on sunday. if blanton thinks he’s worth over 10 million in arbitration he’d be looking for more than that in free agency with multiple bidders.
    for the same price i’d take sheets upside, but i wouldn’t give him a player option, i’d have a mutual option with no buyout (or maybe a buyout if he spends fewer than X days on the DL or makes a certain number of starts).

6. Jonny5 - Jan 20, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I’m as aware of the number Blanton dropped on the Phills just as much as he’s aware he’ll get around 8.5 out of them. And I’d take Blanton over Sheets if I were the Phills for a couple of reasons. He’s very strong and not prone to injury. He eats up innings like cookie monster does chocolate chip cookies. With the Phillies line up you don’t need the guy with the best ERA to win games. Sheets is a liability where Blanton really isn’t. The Phills don’t worry about Blanton being on the DL, he’s a moose. Look at the W/L record blanton had last season as opposed to Sheets in 08.

7. YANKEES1996 - Jan 20, 2010 at 4:56 PM

That must have been one helluva workout to be in the $10 million range after being out all of last year. There are quite a selection of clubs however that specialize in bad contracts. I would suggest that you talk to the Mets, Blue Jays, Tigers, Cubs and oh yea, the Cardinals. Ten million come on Ben, get a grip!

8. brewerreality - Jan 21, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Being from Wisconsin, I don’t believe Ben has thrown close to 95 mph in the last several yrs, hurt or not

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4026)