Jan 20, 2010, 2:51 PM EDT
While appearing at a Cardinals charity event earlier this week Jim Edmonds challenged manager Tony La Russa to consider him for a comeback, saying that he’d play for the minimum salary after sitting out all of 2009.
It was tough to tell whether Edmonds was half-joking or not, but apparently he’s serious. St. Louis radio station KSLG now reports that several teams have expressed interest in potentially signing Edmonds and agent Paul Cohen revealed today that the 39-year-old outfielder has given him a list of “particular teams” with whom he’d be willing to sign.
Edmonds failed to land a contract last offseason despite hitting .235/.343/.479 with 20 homers in 401 plate appearances for the Cubs and Padres in 2008. Even before sitting out an entire season Edmonds’ glove was no longer an asset in center field and he was useless against left-handed pitching, but he hit a robust .250/.362/.521 versus right-handers and has experience at all three outfield spots in addition to first base.
Last year at this time I was convinced that Edmonds could still be a productive platoon player starting in an outfield corner against right-handed pitching. No teams agreed with me and perhaps his already diminished skills deteriorated rapidly during the year off, but it would certainly be worth a minor-league contract and invite to spring training to find out.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)