Jan 20, 2010, 2:51 PM EDT
While appearing at a Cardinals charity event earlier this week Jim Edmonds challenged manager Tony La Russa to consider him for a comeback, saying that he’d play for the minimum salary after sitting out all of 2009.
It was tough to tell whether Edmonds was half-joking or not, but apparently he’s serious. St. Louis radio station KSLG now reports that several teams have expressed interest in potentially signing Edmonds and agent Paul Cohen revealed today that the 39-year-old outfielder has given him a list of “particular teams” with whom he’d be willing to sign.
Edmonds failed to land a contract last offseason despite hitting .235/.343/.479 with 20 homers in 401 plate appearances for the Cubs and Padres in 2008. Even before sitting out an entire season Edmonds’ glove was no longer an asset in center field and he was useless against left-handed pitching, but he hit a robust .250/.362/.521 versus right-handers and has experience at all three outfield spots in addition to first base.
Last year at this time I was convinced that Edmonds could still be a productive platoon player starting in an outfield corner against right-handed pitching. No teams agreed with me and perhaps his already diminished skills deteriorated rapidly during the year off, but it would certainly be worth a minor-league contract and invite to spring training to find out.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)