Jan 20, 2010, 11:45 AM EST
Eric Gagne told a French-Canadian radio station that he has a tryout scheduled for today with the Phillies, but general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. was unavailable for comment when Philadelphia Daily News reporter David Murphy tried to get in touch with him about the former Cy Young winner.
Gagne signed a minor-league deal with the Brewers last winter after posting a 5.44 ERA in 46 innings for Milwaukee in 2008, but was released early in spring training when shoulder problems sidelined him. Once healthy he spent last season pitching in an independent Canadian league, where the longtime closer moved back to the rotation and had a 4.65 ERA in 17 starts.
Gagne turned 34 years old this month, hasn’t been effective in the majors since the first half of 2007, and struggled against the low-level competition in the Can-Am League last year, so suffice it to say that his odds of claiming a bullpen spot for the back-to-back NL champs are slim. Perhaps he’ll look decent enough to garner another minor-league deal, but Gagne has likely thrown his last pitch in the majors.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)