Jan 20, 2010, 11:45 AM EST
Eric Gagne told a French-Canadian radio station that he has a tryout scheduled for today with the Phillies, but general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. was unavailable for comment when Philadelphia Daily News reporter David Murphy tried to get in touch with him about the former Cy Young winner.
Gagne signed a minor-league deal with the Brewers last winter after posting a 5.44 ERA in 46 innings for Milwaukee in 2008, but was released early in spring training when shoulder problems sidelined him. Once healthy he spent last season pitching in an independent Canadian league, where the longtime closer moved back to the rotation and had a 4.65 ERA in 17 starts.
Gagne turned 34 years old this month, hasn’t been effective in the majors since the first half of 2007, and struggled against the low-level competition in the Can-Am League last year, so suffice it to say that his odds of claiming a bullpen spot for the back-to-back NL champs are slim. Perhaps he’ll look decent enough to garner another minor-league deal, but Gagne has likely thrown his last pitch in the majors.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)