Jan 20, 2010, 11:45 AM EST
Eric Gagne told a French-Canadian radio station that he has a tryout scheduled for today with the Phillies, but general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. was unavailable for comment when Philadelphia Daily News reporter David Murphy tried to get in touch with him about the former Cy Young winner.
Gagne signed a minor-league deal with the Brewers last winter after posting a 5.44 ERA in 46 innings for Milwaukee in 2008, but was released early in spring training when shoulder problems sidelined him. Once healthy he spent last season pitching in an independent Canadian league, where the longtime closer moved back to the rotation and had a 4.65 ERA in 17 starts.
Gagne turned 34 years old this month, hasn’t been effective in the majors since the first half of 2007, and struggled against the low-level competition in the Can-Am League last year, so suffice it to say that his odds of claiming a bullpen spot for the back-to-back NL champs are slim. Perhaps he’ll look decent enough to garner another minor-league deal, but Gagne has likely thrown his last pitch in the majors.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)