UPDATE: OK, maybe Johnny Damon isn't contemplating retirement

Jan 20, 2010, 2:13 PM EST

UPDATE Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution tweetsI’m told by someone who knows Damon well that he’s not considered retiring.”  That makes more sense, of course, as many of you in the comments have suggested that this could very well be a negotiating ploy.

The real question is whether O’Brien knows this because the Braves are negotiating with Damon to become their leftfielder on a nice and cheap contract.

Wait, I think my fandom is showing again.

10:00 A.M. Bob Klapishch of the Bergen Record reports that Johnny Damon’s offseason has been so discouraging that he has contemplated retirement.  Short of that, he has a choice of either taking $2 million on a one year deal from the Yankees — assuming they’re offering it, which they probably are — and begging someone like the Braves to take him on.

One can’t help but wonder if Damon’s best bet at this point wouldn’t be to simply say that he’s not signing anywhere, make a big show of getting in shape on his own this spring, wait for contenders to find out that they have holes in their lineup after the season starts, and then sign a Pedro Martinez-style midseason deal.

1. TF in Tampa - Jan 20, 2010 at 4:50 PM

“Let me tell you how I landed my stewardesses”
    I love it already! You are the ‘Man with the Plan’. Nothing like making sure the controls are on auto-pilot then just enjoy flying those friendly skies.
    My unadulterated plan starts from the fly bridge of my boat. I simply plot my course, set it on auto-pilot, then invite my lady to bring us some cold cocktails and join me in my helm chair to enjoy the ride. We then have about an hours ride on Tampa Bay till I hit, I mean pass under, the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. If need be, I simply use my left foot big toe to touch a button and deactivate my system if something crosses in my path. Not as meticulously thought out as your plan, but it works. And remember as they say “Its not the size of the ship that counts, its the motion of the ocean”.
    Now like you, I have other plans which I’ll save for another day.

2. Old Gator - Jan 20, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Oh yeah, definitely. Like a merkin, no one plan fits all sizes. But the sanskrit gambit definitely played well on the big silver birds.
    One of these days I will have to come back to St. Pete to see whatever the latest show is at the Dali Museum, for me the salient attraction in the region (you can take all those mega-amusement parks and shove them, Orwellian nightmares that they are; Busch Gardens has what I think is the largest living American crocodile in captivity on display; that’s definitely worth seeing but aside from that you can shove all those rollercoasters too). Maybe we can arrange to meet at the hall of horse drawn steam calliopes at the Ringling museum in Sarasota and then head over to the Dali for some mind expansion, that see if any of the restaurants in Ybor have learned how to make a decent conch fritter yet.

3. TF in Tampa - Jan 20, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I read the posts over in the ‘Giants lose their Merkin’ blog and I must admit, I missed that Merkin word connotation as a kid. I learned something new today.
    I have only one of Dali’s masterpieces. Maybe you know of it. It was recently highlighted on a billboard for the downtown St. Pete museum on I-275 near the infamous [I know your love of this one] Tropicana Field. It sturred up quite a controversy. Its Dali’s multidimensional drawing of Abe Lincoln’s face with Jesus Christ crucified in the backround and a full bodied naked lady ascending on a cloud thrown in for good taste.
    Anyway, be careful what you wish for. If my J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets get one more win [you never know], I may be coming your way over Superbowl weekend. Then we can meet in Miami and break bread in one of your favorite eateries. Go Jets!!!

4. Old Gator - Jan 20, 2010 at 6:58 PM

And in all honesty, I should have said “congress” instead of “right wing talk radio” on that Merkin thread. Fair is fair and I pride myself on being an equal opportunity cynic.
    Nothing personal, but being able to get together with you here isn’t enough to make me root for the Jets when I can, albeit with some slight difficulty, drive over to the Bay and get together with you without the Jets winning. But, since aside from my distaste for all things New Jersey (the most boring Dead concert I ever attended was at the Meadowlands arena), especially its drivers, I don’t have much of an emotional investment in them one way or another. But yeah, I can think of a place or two that’ll kickstart your palate for ya.

5. TF in Tampa - Jan 20, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I can live with your distaste for my Jets, it won’t hamper my emotions and we still have Manning and the Colts in Indy to get by first. I have plenty of support from my old gang back up in NY/NJ.
    Sorry about the boring Dead concert, but arenas, for me, are not the best place to hear a show. I prefer outdoor air concerts to indoor ones. When people drink and smoke, being outdoors seems to enhance the experience.
    Well, we’ll see what this weekend brings, but St. Pete is doable.

6. Old Gator - Jan 20, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Good-o. I’m thinking already of where we can meet up if you do come into town for the SB. The area right around Joeprodolsharlife Stadium will be a bigger mess than Pompei after Vesuvius blew, but there’s a great quirky little cafe with excellent live music (I think of disco and DJs about as favorably as I think of resistant strains of leprosy bacillus) and great quirky food not to far from there. We’ll remain poised for action one way or another.

7. sp - Jan 21, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Gardner will be fine. As a matter of fact, he might be in center with Granderson in left. His OBP can easily compete with most number nine hitters. Once on base he can steal or even score from first on a double. Of course, I still think they’ll sign Damon, but Gardner will still get plenty of playing time. He was the starter in center at the beginning of last season and played fairly regularly until his injury.

8. YankeeFan - Jan 21, 2010 at 2:43 AM

Surely, Boras has to realize that Damon needs the Yankees much more than the Yankees need Damon.

9. Wild Bill - Jan 21, 2010 at 9:09 AM

old Gator, I went to slew of those dead concerts, ( winterland 74, 75), probably because I had a ride you could jam 5 into, and as I recall ALL those Dead concerts were boring. Not that I want to incite any controversy. And Damon, welcome to come tp Houston, especially if he’s still married to that knockout, ( I would consider it a great accomplishment just to leave home).

10. Joe - Jan 21, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Ok everyone don’t worry about the Yankees leftfield position. The Yankees during spring training will trade for Carl Crawford. The Rays are waiting to trade him at the last moment so to see how others coming up play out. This is also done to find needed players in Yankees minor league system to fit holes on the team.
    Damon got burned by his own agent and should try a team willing to do an insentive laden deal with out his agent.

11. gramfan - Jan 21, 2010 at 9:25 AM

You have nailed it. The $$$$$ these, and other, athletes are paid is obscene! They need to think a little more about reality.

12. Old Gator - Jan 21, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Sounds to me like you must’ve rolled your joints with aces and eights those nights. But really, one of the longstanding mystiques of the Dead was that they always played much better on the east coast than at home. Nearly all of the concerts regarded as their greatest (like, oh, May 77 at Cornell University, Knickerbocker Arena, Nassau Coliseum, every date they ever played at Madison Square Garden – though Boston Garden never suited them) were out this way. Winterland, for some reason, was always a lousy venue for them – and some of the Jefferson Airplane members also complained the place was an acoustic mess and a technical nightmare to play in. I saw them at the Shoreline Ampitheater in 1989 and at the Oakland Coliseum (several times) and only one of the shows at the Coliseum (a New Years eve show but I don’t recall offhand which one) was what I’d call memorable.

13. Issac Maez - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Oh jesus you’ll not belief this. My stupid dog just farted on my leg!? I mean what is the matter with this!? I care for that thing and I end up with that in return. I yet can not belief that. Anyway, you hold a few helpful information there in your posting. I knew Google will take me to a few helpful stuff today :). O . k . need to hunt that creature now! Have a nice day you all!

14. Garden Objects - Feb 3, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Great site, exactly what I was looking for, I can’t get your RSS feed to work right in google chrome though, is it on my end?

15. Bill Pay Free - Feb 9, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Good one mate!! Thanks :)

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3227)
  2. J. Kang (3080)
  3. C. McGehee (2802)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2774)
  5. J. Upton (2760)