Jan 20, 2010, 2:13 PM EDT
UPDATE: Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution tweets “I’m told by someone who knows Damon well that he’s not considered retiring.” That makes more sense, of course, as many of you in the comments have suggested that this could very well be a negotiating ploy.
The real question is whether O’Brien knows this because the Braves are negotiating with Damon to become their leftfielder on a nice and cheap contract.
Wait, I think my fandom is showing again.
10:00 A.M. Bob Klapishch of the Bergen Record reports that Johnny Damon’s offseason has been so discouraging that he has contemplated retirement. Short of that, he has a choice of either taking $2 million on a one year deal from the Yankees — assuming they’re offering it, which they probably are — and begging someone like the Braves to take him on.
One can’t help but wonder if Damon’s best bet at this point wouldn’t be to simply say that he’s not signing anywhere, make a big show of getting in shape on his own this spring, wait for contenders to find out that they have holes in their lineup after the season starts, and then sign a Pedro Martinez-style midseason deal.
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 104
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 35
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 31
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)