Jan 20, 2010, 2:13 PM EDT
UPDATE: Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution tweets “I’m told by someone who knows Damon well that he’s not considered retiring.” That makes more sense, of course, as many of you in the comments have suggested that this could very well be a negotiating ploy.
The real question is whether O’Brien knows this because the Braves are negotiating with Damon to become their leftfielder on a nice and cheap contract.
Wait, I think my fandom is showing again.
10:00 A.M. Bob Klapishch of the Bergen Record reports that Johnny Damon’s offseason has been so discouraging that he has contemplated retirement. Short of that, he has a choice of either taking $2 million on a one year deal from the Yankees — assuming they’re offering it, which they probably are — and begging someone like the Braves to take him on.
One can’t help but wonder if Damon’s best bet at this point wouldn’t be to simply say that he’s not signing anywhere, make a big show of getting in shape on his own this spring, wait for contenders to find out that they have holes in their lineup after the season starts, and then sign a Pedro Martinez-style midseason deal.
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)